ls/vtec swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylox

Legacy Member
hey ,i was wondering ,i have a 90 teg and i think the engine code is a b18a ,what could i expect from a b16a head swap with the rest of the car being stock ,power wise ( approximatly) ?coz i'm sure i can jack out descent power with my current block and forget internals,any help would be great,but plz if ur not sure dont post just anything thanks

are u sure about that coz i have way lower compression than the actual b16a engine ,mine i think is at 9.3:1 while the b16a is at 10.2:1 for the north american version,so due to that i was thinking maybe something around the 150-160 mark.my point in all of this is that if i can actually get 180-185 hp from the ls/vtec swap wouldn't it be smarter do that than swapping in a gsr engine that gives u about 170 hp and cost about 3 times more? so once again ,what are u thoughts? thanks

I'm not sure about the compression but you have more displacement than the b16a and even more displacement than the gsr(b18c1).

I can assure you that the ls/vtec will give you more power than a regular b18c1 or b16a.

It would cost you about the same amount to built an ls/vtec to put in a civic and you would still be stuck with the crappy tranny but it you have a B18a in your car you can get it to be ls/vtec for about 1600-1800$. I just hope your stock block is it good condition??? If it is just keep it under 8000rpm and you will be ok.:)

I have the same engine as you (91) The engine code is B18A and he gives ya 130hp/121lb of torque (B18B engines 94+ Ls-rs-gs) have 142 hp due to .2+ copression ratio, shorter intake runner and different exh.manifold) Thus, these engines have the biggest disp. of all the B series after the B20b- B20z

Dont go vtec. Just take your head to TKMOTIOM.
Or go sir/gsr head for big$$$, but don't expect big torque or hp gains cauz in an engine, what makes power is volumetric effiency, wich you already have something great to work on. swap a Gsr and my opinion is that you'll lost power...
or potential power.

Re: mmmm

Originally posted by Corrado
What about put a CRV block and the famous Sir head ? how many horsepower that can give ?

150 lbs/ft
But this increase come from the 200cc increase from the B20 bottom end, not from the sir head.

and btw, to modify a vtec head is more expensive, cams are more complex,rocker arms etc.etc, and cuz they are more "Popular" so are the parts and the price goes up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back