Question about Moto Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

98cavy22

Legacy Member
Alright, I really wanna get a motorcycle for the spring of '03 and I heard that I shouldn't really get a bike older than 6 or so years. I'm looking for one around 600 cc. I'm not a speed freak, so I'm not too worried about killing myself. :) My question is, what's the best way I can do my insurance? My situation would be probably like this: Drive the bike for most of the summer, except the days it rains or driving friends/long journeys in which case i'd take the cavy. In the winter i'd drive my cavy only.

Now, is there some way I could get insurance on my cavy only for the winter and then casually for the summer? Or am I really gonna have to dish out and pay year 'round for both the car and the bike?

Well, most insurance companies now will charge you for the entire year for coverage on a bike. Companies were losing too much money because people would cancel the insurance after the riding season was over. I am not too sure how it works for a car but this is how it usually works for insuring a bike now.

Track3000, as a beginner, some older bikes might be better for you to learn on. If you dump an older bike you won't be as upset as dumping a recent model. Besides, some of the old school bikes are pretty hype. Like the Yamaha FZR-400, this bike can compete with some more modern 600CC bikes. I went out and bought a 99 F4 but i wouldn't mind picking up an older sports bike to play around with. Just don't limit yourself to the most modern bikes because the latest 600cc Supersports have crazy amounts of power... and if you are a rookie... they will scare the $hiat out of you. Like me. =)

Get a Ninja 500 or CB500 or GS500. They are all good beginner bikes and won't cost a fortune to fix if you wad it.

Originally posted by eggboy
some of the old school bikes are pretty hype. Like the Yamaha FZR-400, this bike can compete with some more modern 600CC bikes. Just don't limit yourself to the most modern bikes because the latest 600cc Supersports have crazy amounts of power...

totally agree..
I have a old kawa ninja 400R (the gpz) and it keeps up to my buddies 600s

it lacks alot of top end power, but i don't really care about top end anymore. I'm looking into buying something more recent however, maybe my cousins 98' ZX-7 as he is looking into buying a ducati this summer.

track3000, a 98 ZX-7 is a nice bike. I am a honda fan so i am going take this time to promote hondas!! I am a Honda boy for life... well, until i try something else. =P "WhiteZombie" might disagree as a gixxer rider though. =)

Well I wouldn't get a ZX7 because it is not that powerfull and very heavy but it does have very good handling because of that weight, get a ZR6R, it will be as fast if not faster and be cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I love how the ZX7 looks but the performance is really not there (my friend has one and I did ride it a couple of times). It's 10 year old technology on that bike.

Eggboy, well your half right, I am a Honda freack also (I only have Honda cars) but for bikes right now, I just love Gixxers but you would not catch me even dead drunk driving a Suzuki car (lol).

Last edited:
Zomby, are you telling me that you wouldn't drive that sick new Suzuiki Aero? Damn, that baby is a chick magnet. If i was cruising through the streets of Toronto, I would be guaranteed to get some ladies... i am sure it is the same in Montreal right? hahah NO THANKS. If i could fit more comfortably on a gixxer i would probably ride one as well... but like you, their car line-up..... damn, no comment can describe that.

But back on topic, track3000.... get something you feel comfortable with.

I don't understand how they can make amazing bikes and shit cars.

Like you said, back to topix and getting something you feel comfy on will be your best bet because no matter what, insurance will always fu#K you up the arse.

I've had a 93 CBR600 a '99 ZX7-RR, a '01 RC51 and now...well, something else.
Anyway, each bike has it's strong and weak points. I would not hesitate to recommend any of the bikes I've had. My favorite was the RC51 just because it was best suited to the riding that I do. (fast back road and track events) but the ZX-7RR was also a great handling bike, but like it was mentioned above, it's a bit fat. Once moving you don't notice it to much though. It is pretty quick, quicker in the midrange than any 600 and it has a pretty good top end as well. The best part is it's stability and great brakes. The crap part is the position and the crap turning radius (in town) plus cheaper fit and finish than the Hondas and Yam's.
You can pick them up for cheap now too. I sold mine two years ago for $6000 but you can get them under 5k now.
The other great beginer bike (not the the ZX-7RRis a beguinner bike) is the Suzuki SV650. It's a v-twin that makes about 70hp, it's light, looks nice and handles really well. They have a whole race series around these bikes. It's a bike you won't get sick of once you start getting good. ...the best part is that they are cheap!!

i pay 380$ a year to insure a 1983 kawa NINJA 400R gpz, now that's cheaper then cheap

I know if i pick up a new super sport 600, my insurance will sky rocket to probably 2000-3000 $

is that about, what u guys pay ?

Just in case, don't ever go with BELAIR, it's been 2 years now and I still didn't get any check for my stolen bike...

and they say BELAIR L'ASSURANCE QUI PARDONNE...

yeah right.... :zie:

Yep the SV650 is a great bike but not so good for beginners because of the big torque numbers the engine puts out, it's a good wheelie bike wich can get you in trouble if your not use to it but it is better than starting on a GSX-R 750 or a ZX7 or CBR600 wich are to powerfull bikes to handle when you start.

Nahhh, the SV is a pussy cat. There is no trouble with unexpected wheelies...it's only got 70hp!! I mean if you slam it open in first, yes, it will lift but then you should be smart enough to realize that!

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I havent even riden one but that's what a friend of mine told me, if your not carefull with the throttle hand, you can wind up on your arse but like you said, any bike will lift if your not gentle with the right hand!!!

Sorry, i was not sayin YOU are not smart enough...just in general. Most every bike can wheelie in 1st (some might need the clutch to do it though).
Did you see the new SV650 and the SV1000? It's pretty nice.

Chris you liked the RC51 better than your new bike???? Just wondering cuz its 2 bikes I wouldnt mind having around...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back