Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennis160

I need to change my whole suspension on my car shocks, springs, struts and bushings. would I save $$$ by doing it myself ? and what tools would I need?and any other useful information.

You definately save money by doing it yourself. And other than a spring compressor, you just need a good tool set. And you would also learn how things work on your car instead of just taking it to the garage. But if you are not very handy with fixing stuff, then its probably better to take it somewhere.

Go for it, it's nothing too difficult.

A spring compressor is pretty cheap and it's the only specialized tool you need.

Originally posted by Supernaut
Go for it, it's nothing too difficult.

A spring compressor is pretty cheap and it's the only specialized tool you need.

how much approx? orcan you reant it from canadian tire for free?

Originally posted by tennis160

how much approx? orcan you reant it from canadian tire for free?

You can borrow the tool from CT, but everytime I have tried to get my hands on it, it was either gone, or broken.

While I would defenitely recommend you compress the spring before undoing the spring/shock assembly, it is not entirely necessary.

The reason technical manuals usually recommend compressing the spring is that it is still pushing outwards when installed. If you undo the bolt at the top, it will jump or pop off it you don't retain the tension using a spring compressor.

However, stock springs are usually soft enough that you just need to take care when undoing the assembly. Stand the shock up and put your weight on it, and it'll be okay. Aftermarket sport or race springs are harder than stock and as a result are usually shorter, so putting the whole thing back together is usually very easy without the need to compress the spring. You may have to put some weight on the top plate to thread the nut, but it's pretty easy.

If any of this is over your head, you may want to get a friend who has done it before to come over and help you out, or find someone who is willing to do it with you. If all else fails, bring it somewhere to have it done.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you got some mecanical habilities and you do your own mecanics, oil change and things like that i'd say go for it but if you don't know anything about it you better forget this idea and pay someone else to do it!
If you do it by yourself, you better ask a friend to help you, it's much more easier with 2 head thinking when problems happens!!!

I'm very good a doing stuff under my hood and around my car no problem with that I was just wondering if there were any tricks to save time and $$ and tools i would have to buy or rent

shocks and springs...

well here it is....

i just finished replacing my shocks and springs yesterday and yes i did it myself...... the only enoying thing is the mechanical spring compressors which you have to turn manualy... god damn it takes long to compress the spring... other than that everything else is easy assuming that your bushings are still good and that your bolts turn easily.... if not you will have to heat them and a standard blow torch might not work.... if you need help pm me i can answer most of your questions

p.s once your done you will feel great to have done it yourself..

NiGhTRiDeR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back