Need some advise pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

badb0i98si

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to the scene and to the msg board. I got a 98 si coupe last summer and since then have been feeling the need to be faster. i DO NOT want to get a swap in there for now so i am looking for some ideas of what i can do with the stock engine. So far i have a Air intake/ DC 4-1 headers / Feilds V-Tec controller / By spring time i should have a Cat back exhaust / Some sort of Lowering Springs, and a Zex Street/Strip Performance camshaft. After this i don't really know where to go. I would like to keep the car N/A. Like i said i am pretty new at this so if any of you can help me out it would be apreciated. Thanks!

Since you want to stay NA, then you may want to consider a bigger throttle body and possibly a port and polished head. B18BCivic has a ported head on a non-vtec Integra motor and it seems to be working well for him.

I don't have any info on the Zex made cams, but if it were my motor I would stick to the name brand items like JUN, Toda or Type R cams. The last thing you need is cheap parts in the motor. Mabye the Zex are good but I can't say.

You say that you don't want an engine swap for now. In that case..may I sugest that you just wait till you do go for the swap before dumping cash into your ride. You could still do all the boltons with your si engine...but it will all go to waste!

I know this is not what you wanted to hear...but it's your best best (moneywise)..... just a suggestion.

danny zex is a name brand,there notorious for nos systems,i beleive that is what there cams are intended for,you would be better off with type-r cams,cheeper price and just as good and wont take 3 months to get!

Correct me if i'm wroing guys but i don't think they sell type-r / jun / toda cams for a SOHC VTEC do they? The reason i was thinking of going with the zex is cause from what i have read from honda-tech.com its the best bet for the SOHC engine. As for the swap. I know i would help me out alot and give me a way better base to work with. I dunno.. I was thinking building up the SOHC a little for this year seeing as i have quite a bit of debt to get rid of and can't afford to spend 2-3G's in one shot. Maybe next year i'll save up a few G's and drop a GSR or something in..... Just wondering... Whats the best run you guys have seen a SOHC Vtec do?

Keep going to honda-tech...you can get some valuable info there.

Now about your motor...you said you want to build up the sohc now and mabye change the motor later. This will ending up costing more money. Why would you put thousands into a motor you know your gonna change? I recommend waiting to get a swap. It's much easier to get power out of a doch motor.

I have the best solution for you. put nitrous in your car. that way you'll have crazy power, then you'll blow your engine so you'll have to do a swap. hehehe. ;-)

Ok i think i got the plan after checking the responses. This year i will run my SOHC with the headers and vtec controller i have already. I'll throw an exhaust to help the look out a bit. "BTW If i get a cat back and swap engines will it still fit the B series engine?". So this way i am out only the price of the pipe. The headers i can sell and the VTEC controller i can reuse. I was hopeing to get some good feedback from you guys and the honda tech guys. But i guess i need to see the light. My stock motor is not the place to be throwing money. I think if i apply myself and stop going out to clubs i could have a couple G's by summer hopefully. I just hope none of my family notices the swap once i get one or i think i'll be looking for a new place to stay. They think i am on drugs for spending money on a perfectly good car but i'm sure alot of you guys get that too.

Hello guys, ;) ... the cat-back system will still work after the swap... as for sohc, well not much power in there in na form... better off swaping to B series.. once done a whole new world awaits... a good head job ( now now kiddies :) ) will work wonders..

the more green you got the faster you go.. sad but true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back