Blown chrysler 2.7 v6 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackevelli

Hey guys, i have a civic as my daily driver, pretty beat up, but I also got my dad's 99 intrepid with a blown engine and he's leaving it up to me to fix if I want. Does anyone either know how to properly fix it or where i can get an affordable replacement, preferabley a 3.2 or 3.5?*banghead*

Mackevelli said:
Hey guys, i have a civic as my daily driver, pretty beat up, but I also got my dad's 99 intrepid with a blown engine and he's leaving it up to me to fix if I want. Does anyone either know how to properly fix it or where i can get an affordable replacement, preferabley a 3.2 or 3.5?*banghead*

fais des appels dans les cours a scrap tu va meme avoir une garantie
y doit surement en avoir une coupe vue que ca fait plusieurs annees que chrysler en fait
par exemple, un de mes chums a achete un 2.2 ecotec chez lecavalier avec une garantie manifold intake + exhaust avec les injecteurs et le fuel rail pour 1100 $ je crois

bonne chance

Es qu'ils font des installations aussi? Parce que je n'ai plus d'espace pour ce beast et deux moteurs dans mons garage, puis c'est ben difficile pour arriver juste au timing chain, je peux pas imaginer changer un moteur qui est ce complique.

cougarkid said:
Sell the dodge and buy a ford.

Now that's exactly what he wanted to hear!*banghead* *banghead* *banghead* Why would he sell problems for some more problems?? :thefinger

Bimmer, u got the sexiest Intrepid i've ever seen*tu* . Not only that but there's proof of the gas price being 89.4 once apon a time ago in your pic of the ride.

Mackevelli said:
I bleed chevy orange anyway, why would i want a ford*fag*

For an awesome duratech engine.:D

I was just kidding about selling the dodge.Almost any car company makes a car that's likable.
I'm also pretty surprised you've had trouble with your engine.If it's the dohc engine I think it is.
Was it starved of oil somehow or did it overheat?

cougarkid said:
For an awesome duratech engine.:D

I was just kidding about selling the dodge.Almost any car company makes a car that's likable.
I'm also pretty surprised you've had trouble with your engine.If it's the dohc engine I think it is.
Was it starved of oil somehow or did it overheat?

The V6 2.7 from Chrysler/Dodge had alot of sludge problems, they "apparently" fixed the problem in 2001. You have to run that engine with synthetic oil only...or do your oil change religiously. Alot of guys on my club had to replace their engine, so they swapped a 3.2/3.5 in.

Mackevelli said:
Bimmer, u got the sexiest Intrepid i've ever seen*tu* . Not only that but there's proof of the gas price being 89.4 once apon a time ago in your pic of the ride.

From what i've read on the internet, the 2.7 dohc was engineered by downsizing a 3.0 litre engine either from mitsubishi or chrysler that was used in the early 90s, but aparently when they designed the oil pump they screwed up somewhere cuz it's incapable of distributing oil throughout the entire engine, especially to the valve trains. Eventually sludge builds up and then the timing chain goes, then it's all downhill from there. Chrysler also takes no responsibility and they claim it's due to poor maintenance on the part of the owner, which is why they now discontinued the intrepid along with others and no longer make 2.7 engines. I don't feel like changing oil every week to maintain an engine that can barely move this boat, so i'd prefer a 3.2 or 3.5, that's if i keep this car, otherwise i'm stuck with the rice mobile(honda civc).

I called a guy for an engine and he told me i can only put a 3.2 in it cuz it's 99 and they didn't have the 3.5 in those cars at the time. He also told me it's gonna cost 3000 just for the engine then there's the labour and extra parts and fluids, which is when i hung up on him. Is he right about the 3.5 not fitting in perfectly without changing the mounts and all that?

Mackevelli said:
Is he right about the 3.5 not fitting in perfectly without changing the mounts and all that?

Maybe you can swap the entire subframe from a later one?If it's just the mounts themselves that
need to be replaced it's not bad.

Mackevelli said:
I called a guy for an engine and he told me i can only put a 3.2 in it cuz it's 99 and they didn't have the 3.5 in those cars at the time. He also told me it's gonna cost 3000 just for the engine then there's the labour and extra parts and fluids, which is when i hung up on him. Is he right about the 3.5 not fitting in perfectly without changing the mounts and all that?

Did you went on the link I gave you earlier??? :p

This is what you need:

3.5/2L Parts needed:
- Motor Mounts
- ECU/PCM (not required to run the car. SKIM ECUs will NOT work. Only 3.5L non-SKIM ECUs are R/T). 3.2 and 3.5L fuel/ignition curves are slightly different, but one ECU will run the other.(Must be 98-01 if you have a 98-01. Must be 02+ if you have a 02+)
- Exhaust Manifolds
- Intake Ducting/Airbox or Aftermarket Intake for 3.2/5
- Heater/Radiator Hoses
- Oil Cooler and Lines
- Engine Wiring Harness (Must be 98-01 if you have a 98-01. Must be 02+ if you have a 02+)
- Alternator
- Power Steering Pump
- Power Steering Lines (?)
- Power Steering Reservoir
- 2.7L Downpipes Must Be Cut ~2" (see threads)
- 3.2/5 Throttle Cable (?)

The only real difference between the 3.5L and 3.2L is the power output and the displacement. The 3.5L alt will bolt up to a 3.2L and etc.

FAQ:
Is the transmission different?
No. It just has a different gear ratio. You do not need to replace it.

Does the TCM have to be replaced?
No. Infact you should keep the 2.7L TCM because of the gear ratio difference.

Why must I stick to 98-01 ECUs/Wiring, or 02+ ECUs/Wiring?
The wiring and ECU changed greatly in 2002. If you have a 2002, you have a larger ECU that works as a TCM as well. The 98-01s have seperate TCMs. Because of this, the harnesses are different. But you can put a 98 engine in a 02 car, and vise versa.

P.S:Copied from there

For threads about it go see the link and check at the bottom on the post.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39677 :bigup:

Yeah I went to it, i had that site bookmarked but i never read that thread. Would it be worth spending more for the 3.5? Right now I'm so fed up with it that i think i might stick with my Civic. Do you have a ballpark figure of how much that would cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back