SR in a 240Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

alx21

Legacy Member
i was thinking about this swap and i'm wondering if it has ever been done ? or is it impossible

it's not impossible for shure. But the 240z is a carbureted car, so, absolutely no electronics are involved on that car, You'll have to create a complete wiring harness, custom for that car, plus, maybe the driveshaft will be a problem...

shit everything that is related to wiring scares me!
but that still would be a really cool project

i'm gonna try to find some more infos about it

The coolest thing you could do to a 240 is to swap in a Chevy small block...it can be done without too much trouble and you get an awesome combination of Japanese chassis + American power.

i don't know but i think the SR would be more cool
and the handling of the car would be way better with about the same hp

The 240Z has a 50/50 weight distribution stock...gross weight is 2355 so you get 1178 lb/axle. It's hard to find data for engine weight but say the small block weighed 200 lbs more than the stock engine, you'll get 1378 lb on the front axle and 1178 in the rear, which means 54:46 weight distribution- which is slightly better than an S14 :)

And you will get more power with a small block for the same investment, especially considering the expense of an SR20 swap here.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Supernaut
The 240Z has a 50/50 weight distribution stock...gross weight is 2355 so you get 1178 lb/axle. It's hard to find data for engine weight but say the small block weighed 200 lbs more than the stock engine, you'll get 1378 lb on the front axle and 1178 in the rear, which means 54:46 weight distribution- which is slightly better than an S14 :)

And you will get more power with a small block for the same investment, especially considering the expense of an SR20 swap here.

i dunno where youre from saying 54-46 is a good distrubition :rolleyes:

Look up the specs for a Mazdaspeed Protege (~62:38), R34 (56:44/54:46 depending on source), buy and read this book, and stop acting like a smartass ;)

FWIW this page mentions the weight gain is only 100 pounds in the front and 40 on the rear- http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

(~62:38), holy shit i apologize! :eek: i thought this car had AMAZING handling tho! serious i read the review in road and track and it said it keeps up with 996 turbos and Z06's in the slalom :eek: :doh:

ok guys...it's not all about ratios...it's also about ratio to reat weight relation....

ex:

50:50

a 3000pounds car will be balanced like a 5000 pound car

40:60

the 3000 pounds car is more unbalanced than the 5000pounds car...

AAAHHHHHH I had this whole ****ing gigantic reply typed out and the ****ing BB software asked me to relogin when I wanted to send it and I lost it :(

Shit.

Here we go again-

i thought this car had AMAZING handling tho! serious i read the review in road and track and it said it keeps up with 996 turbos and Z06's in the slalom

Exactly :) Weight distribution isn't the end-all, be-all of vehicle handling; it *is* a major factor but you can't use it to assess handling without more information.

BTW a 996 Turbo has about 39:61 weight distribution, but rearwards bias on a car is generally preferable. Now I had this whole paragraph of calculations of weight transfer typed out, but suffice it to say that forward bias is good for a FWD car in acceleration, rearwards bias is good for RWD (more weight on the driving wheels= better traction), and the Mazdaspeed's weight distribution will likely be pretty close to 50:50 during acceleration- which is ideal for dynamic events.

Then you need to look at the effects of combined longitudinal and lateral weight transfer...etc., etc., etc. Lemme know if you still want the numbers, it's nothing complicated (weight transfer = longitudinal or lateral force * (CG height/either wheelbase or track width)

ok...really...then explain why I'm not...

Also...suspension design can actually compensate to rebalance a car...

It's the opposite than what you posted- a 5000 pound car will have bigger weight transfer than the 3000 pound car. If you look at the equation of transfer, it comes down to the same thing as moving the CG up or narrowing the track- which even by instinct you'll recognize as bad for handling.

AAAHHHHHH I had this whole ****ing gigantic reply typed out and the ****ing BB software asked me to relogin when I wanted to send it and I lost it :(

Shit.

Here we go again-

Exactly :) Weight distribution isn't the end-all, be-all of vehicle handling; it *is* a major factor but you can't use it to assess handling without more information.

BTW a 996 Turbo has about 39:61 weight distribution, but rearwards bias on a car is generally preferable. Now I had this whole paragraph of calculations of weight transfer typed out, but suffice it to say that forward bias is good for a FWD car in acceleration, rearwards bias is good for RWD (more weight on the driving wheels= better traction), and the Mazdaspeed's weight distribution will likely be pretty close to 50:50 during acceleration- which is ideal for dynamic events.

Then you need to look at the effects of combined longitudinal and lateral weight transfer...etc., etc., etc. Lemme know if you still want the numbers, it's nothing complicated (weight transfer = longitudinal or lateral force * (CG height/either wheelbase or track width)

and your an SRT member??:confused:

ya but if u want to equal it out wut u can do is put more weight in the back like subs.......i kno it sound stupid but it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back