WRX road trip, good on Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browner

For all those who are thinking of buying a wrx and are afraid of it killing your wallet for gas think again. This weekend I took my Impreza past Toronto. Its a GC8 with a Full WRX swap, motor/tranny etc. On average these days it costs me 60$ to fill up with 91. At a steady 130 to 140 km/h I got 660km to my tank. I even could have gone father but I got board along the trip and found my self adove 190 a few times. For a car this fun ill spend that on gas easy! Mods on car that could effect gas mileage:
Full lachute exhaust (up pipe, down pipe and back)
17" jdm sti wheels
Running on Royal Purple oil
50000kms on motor

I'm really suprise. If we consider you put around 50L in your tank ans you did 660km with 50L so it's 7.5L/100km. I will say ok if you drive around 110km/h because your are under 3000rpm, so not on the turbo and you have a 2L, but at 130-140, you run in the turbo. Also you have up pipe, down pipe so you have stuff you get more gaz consumption.

At 100-110 on the highway I believe you, but not at 130-140.

This is bullshit.... OR... something is weird with your car.... I have a bone stock 2004 WRX and I average anywhere between 280kms and 500kms depending on the driving (city vs highway) ...

I just finished a tank today and I did 360km... doing strickly city driving and pushing the car a little more then usual..

My record doing 97% highway was 510km... so I have NO IDEA how you got to 660km .... To me, it's completely unrealistic....

Jon833 said:
This is bullshit.... OR... something is weird with your car.... I have a bone stock 2004 WRX and I average anywhere between 280kms and 500kms depending on the driving (city vs highway) ...

I just finished a tank today and I did 360km... doing strickly city driving and pushing the car a little more then usual..

My record doing 97% highway was 510km... so I have NO IDEA how you got to 660km .... To me, it's completely unrealistic....

We are 2 to said is bullshit...

Probably the guy forget to reset the counter to 0, so he had 300 the first time and 360 the second...hahahahha

koolyce said:
We are 2 to said is bullshit...

Probably the guy forget to reset the counter to 0, so he had 300 the first time and 360 the second...hahahahha
:laugh: :laugh: But seriously... it makes absolutly no sense... I've had the car for a little more then 2 years now and i've never even came close to 500km ... cept once..

Boost4U said:
His car is a few hundred pounds lighter and the 401 is pretty flat. I can believe it.
You're talking about the 417? Cuz that's where I did my 510km too... he still claims he did 200km more then my all time record... that's like half a tank... I need someone with a WRX to back me up... heh

Boost4U said:
His car is a few hundred pounds lighter and the 401 is pretty flat. I can believe it.

You can believe it if he drive at 100-105 because he don't run on the turbo so the 2L is really economic, but a 130-140, you are always on the turbo.

koolyce said:
You can believe it if he drive at 100-105 because he don't run on the turbo so the 2L is really economic, but a 130-140, you are always on the turbo.
I was going 120 steady when I did my 510km... 660km @ 130-140 is impossible, i'm sorry Browner.... i'm not saying I dont believe he did 660km... but a normal WRX cannot do such a thing

my friend just bought an 05 legacy and amazingly enough he gets 7.5 on the highway! not bad for a boat like that (not the gt) but its a pretty aerodynamic car (unlike our GC's)

maybe your speedo is out of calibration due to the swap.
given your 5 speed, the 17" wheels (im assuming 225 wide... which is about the same overall diameter as the stock 16's so they dont really affect the final driven ratio)
if your tach is reading correct your engine should be turning at ~2900 rpm at 120 km/h with the 0.738 5th, 3.9 final and 0.317m radius of the wheels. do the math and you will know exactly what you are getting.

.... what it all comes down to, however, is that if you want mileage buy an echo, you wanna have fun buy a subaru and enjoy watching the dynamic motion if your gas gauge!

ps. my RS was actually pretty good on gas ~8... cant wait to see how thirsty the v7 is!

The maximum I did with my WRX is 550km and It was on the highway at around 110km/h... (damn gaz price)
So If you did more than 600km at 130-140...something doesn't work here.

cail said:
The maximum I did with my WRX is 550km and It was on the highway at around 110km/h... (damn gaz price)
So If you did more than 600km at 130-140...something doesn't work here.
There ya go!! What do you average for the tank if you only do city driving?

Jon833 said:
There ya go!! What do you average for the tank if you only do city driving?

If I open the throttle...the average I do in city is 450km or less.
It drinks gaz, especially in winter ;)
but It so fun...

Browner said:
. At a steady 130 to 140 km/h I got 660km to my tank. I even could have gone father but I got board along the trip and found my self adove 190 a few times.

my v8 gets the same mileage.....i dunno how impressive this is.....

everything speed wise is calibrated, I'm thinking if this is not normal, it could have been the tail wind i had sunday. In the city i get 400 to 500 km per tank. also i was in a pack of cars driving close together...less head wind? i dunno, unless my kms are wrong that what went down.

67Continental said:
my v8 gets the same mileage.....i dunno how impressive this is.....
It's not impressive... it's impossible for a WRX..

No shit... V8 on the highway is almost at idle.. My V6 was taking a lot less gaz then my 4cyl turbo...

cail said:
If I open the throttle...the average I do in city is 450km or less.
It drinks gaz, especially in winter ;)
but It so fun...
Don't get me wrong... i'm not complaining! lol.. When I bought the car.. I didnt think one bit about how much money I was going to spend on gaz.. I would've gotten a diesel if I did..

It's still crazy that I spend as much money on gaz than the actual car payments per month.. let alone the insurance! It's all worth it so far tho! Can't wait for winter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back