Focus vs. Cougar (in terms of bang for your buck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle_Boy

What would you say is best for the money.

I'm looking to spend about 10,000 this coming spring.

I've been researching about the ZX5 & ZX3 and I know what they are basically about.

What about the Cougar? Are the parts expensive?

Whats your overall opinion.

My friend who works at ford told me a few times that they get alot of cougars with problems with the V6 engine...

I would get a ZX3.

Go for the Focus hands down !

You will get a much newer Foci with the same budget
Lower insurance premiums (especially for the 4 door ZX5)
Better track record in satisfaction
More economical in fuel
Probably faster since it's lighter
Parts easily availble through Ford and Jobber
Larger aftermarket accesory line (COUGAR has basical none)
Much,much,much,much easier to work on

what spec do you want to know ... and its true 2002and + are really good .... the 2000 and 2001 have some probleme but if all the "rappelle" are done they are ok

I bought a 03 Focus this summer for 10K and love the car , I'm sure the cougar is nice too but the Focus do the job for me .It's bone stock except the wheels ( came with the car ) .

garage_oct_05_003.jpg

03_ford_focus_1st_pics._002.jpg

If you buy a Focus and you want some deflectors I have some for sale..

vent_and_deflector_001.jpg

Martin, thats a really nice Focus.

I'm also happy to hear the positive feedback. Whats the difference between the ZX5 & 3 (other than the obvious differences)

I'm definitely sold on the Focus. You can call me a focus owner already (even tho I'm only getting one in spring lol), but...

I've always wondered if Focii have gotten respect.. i mean theyre neither Jap nor muscle cars.

Please excuse me if I sould like a newbie, I'm very fresh at this auto thing.. :)

Last edited:
Pour avoir essayer les deux je trouve que ca se compare pas vraiment... La conduite est pas mal différente. Mais c'est sur que si tu veux la modifié, la focus est un meilleur choix. Aussi c'est une voiture bcp moins lourde qui va surement consommer pas mal moins. *tu*

Point de vue performance, j'ai eu un cougar 4 cylindre 1999 et maintenant j'ai le 6 cylindre 2001 qui est un peu mieux mais quand meme... l'auto est pesante pis elle se traine un peu. Mais si tu veux kek chose qui tape a l'oeil, je trouve que la cougar est plus belle. Sieges sont très confortable, bon équipement en général et la tenue de route impresionnante selon moi.

La transmission manuelle énerve din fois sur les cougar.... surtout pour la 1er vitesse qui est dur a rentré des fois! *td* Mais en dehors de ca j'ai jamais eu de problème avec mes cougars :bigup:

You guys a all full of $hit saying that the 2.5l duratech was a problem engine.
The failures that happened to those engines was caused by them having no
baffles in the oil pan and the regular joe that knew nothing about that engine
and let the oil sit around the add mark would starve the engine of oil at high rpm
during cornering or steep uphill.My contour now has 260000 kms on and has
been beaten with no restraint since day one ( aug 97 49000km).The only
reason I would say go for the focus is it's cheaper to mod.If you like the
cougar get a 2001 or 2002,many improovements where done in thoses model
yrs.If you have $$$ to mod and want POWER you can swap a duratech
3.0L and get the ovalport heads portmatched for the splitport 2.5L but with
a svt tb and upper intake and cams and a ADC chip to handle all of that and
you'll be looking at 250HP.You'll just have to live with Ford fit and finish but I'm
satisfied overall with the car.GO AND LOOK AT WWW.FASTCOUGAR.COM and
you'll find out and see all you need to know about the cougar and how it's a
wonderful but expensive car to mod.

Last edited:
Eagle_Boy said:
I'm also happy to hear the positive feedback. Whats the difference between the ZX5 & 3 (other than the obvious differences)

zx3 = 3 door
zx5 = 5 door

La mienne a ete "problem free" a part le coil et je l'ai acheter avec 104,000 KM et ca ne m'as pas fait peur du tout , mon ami vient de s'acheter une 4 porte 2004 et a date il est 100% satisfait , ca depent toujour de ce que tu cherche , moi la focus me plaisait a l'oeil et la performance n'etait pas un "must" .

oublie de mentionner quil y a bcp plus de focus sur la route que de cogar alors si tu aime qqch de different 'visuellement", cougar is your choice.

try them both. you could be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back