how much hp can i push from a dx

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick8

Legacy Member
i got a dx i want to know how much hp i can get out of it if it's not worth it i'll put the 2liter but if it is ill just put the cash to it

well..with enough money..over 200HP N/A over 250HP F/I....but that's alotta cash..

Bolt-ons , cams, higher compression pistons, Hondata,port work.. Probably about 130-140Whp with alot of luck and dyno time for tuning..

You can get the block sleeved, put forged and stonger internal parts in and around the engine, boost it like mad and so forth. You can get sick power out of a d16....

Question is : what do you want to do? Spend 7-10 k or 3k? Do you want a 15 or 11 second car?

How fast can a 1.5 litre n/a honda engine go? Is it worth it to spend on a dx engine?

bisi4.jpg

This one did the 1/4 mile in 10.8 seconds @124 mph

Originally posted by mohawkboom
well..with enough money..over 200HP N/A over 250HP F/I....but that's alotta cash..

Bolt-ons , cams, higher compression pistons, Hondata,port work.. Probably about 130-140Whp with alot of luck and dyno time for tuning..

how u going to get a dx to 200hp Na? please explain that to me?

Originally posted by bmw318I

You put a lot of R&D and brains into desiging the motor! If you really want to know ask Bisi Ezerioha, thats his engine pictured above. Gotta love webbers!!!

Originally posted by bmw318I

Extreme amounts of custom work, engine balancing and intake work..reinforcing and custom building the valvetrain...

and tons upon tons of tuning..I never said this would be a streetable 200hp :)

Ok then ask your self this "why the hell would you want to poor that much $$ into an engine that had reliability and fuel economy in mind when created?" You see your dx while a good sturdy engine is not ment to bee pushed up to such high hp! TO get to that amount of hp the $$ you invest will be wayyyy to much comp to a nice swap with mild mods on the new engine! Do the I/H/E change for about 10 hp more but dont bother getting that engine up to higher amounts of hp it just wont happen....and if it does... why waste all that $$ on a dx??

and to reply to the coment that that engine did the 1/4 in 10. what ever....well its not really the engine but rather the car engine and driver! Yes it ran that time but put that engine in your car and it wont! Look at the car lightened to hell prob gutted inside and i doubt thats real glass on the wind sheald! As well the driver of that car will ahve more exp than most of us and his reaction times prob decimate ours! In all reality that is a verry nice soc and i give it a big :bigup: but its not the engine that made the time rather all 3 components together! like a good friend of mine says "you can give an idiot the best damn car in the world, but if he cant drive and shift for crap he will still be in the high 17's"

Last edited:
and his reaction times prob decimate ours!

Reaction times change your ET now? BTW I don't think anyone was inferring that he could run 10's in his car with an N/A SOHC 1.5 engine...;)

Originally posted by twin54
Ok then ask yourself this "why the hell would you want to poor that much $$ into an engine that had reliability and fuel economy in mind when created?" You see your dx while a good sturdy engine is not ment to bee pushed up to such high hp! TO get to that amount of hp the $$ you invest will be wayyyy to much comp to a nice swap with mild mods on the new engine! Do the I/H/E change for about 10 hp more but dont bother getting that engine up to higher amounts of hp it just wont happen....and if it does... why waste all that $$

The question asked was not whether it was worth it, it was what can be done to increase hp, in other words, does this engine have any potential.

If I where to built a relatively cheap drag engine for a 88-91 civic, I would'nt even consider a b series engine.

Why bother with a heavy, expensive DOHC when you can get a d16y8, get it sleeved, have the internals replaced accordingly slap a turbo and get it properly tuned and boost it like mad.

Shure, it will cost way more than the n/a b18c engine, but it will be way ahead on the track.

Ok then in response to that post where in the origional post did he say he was going to the trakc? I thought he was asking wether to drop the 2 letter or to upp the dx? He did look like he was gonna drop all kinds of $$ that you just mentioned on the d series engines! Yes the d is light as hell and doesnt have to wait for v-tech and top end for all its power and yes its a good engine, but its a poor mans drag car! Come on dont tell me if you had all the $$ you wouldent put a b18c5 fully moded instead of a soc d series....plz!

That is exactly what I would do... why not?

Shure a b18c5 most likely will make more power, but why does a stock Viper with 450 hp pull 12-13 seconds timeslips and a slighly built 10-12 psi b16a do the same?

Hp is just a number, DOHC is just another cam, VTEC is great, but tuning makes all the difference.

Ok, I never turboed a civic, never sat in a Viper, and own a b16a2. Still if money would not be a issue, I would go with a sohc just for the kicks.

just for the sleeper side, i'll go with the d16.

maybe it'll cost more than a 2liter but lightness is hard to get.
and what a sleeper it would be! even with the hood open.

Originally posted by matt
That is exactly what I would do... why not?

Shure a b18c5 most likely will make more power, but why does a stock Viper with 450 hp pull 12-13 seconds timeslips and a slighly built 10-12 psi b16a do the same?

Hp is just a number, DOHC is just another cam, VTEC is great, but tuning makes all the difference.

Ok, I never turboed a civic, never sat in a Viper, and own a b16a2. Still if money would not be a issue, I would go with a sohc just for the kicks.

Why..because of the B16 TRannies very aggreassive gear ratios... you top out at about 30mph in first gear at 8200Rpms in an SiR,,,

With a viper you top out at over 53MPH at 5500Rpms..

If you geared a viper lower..it would run better times..

That 12Psi boosted B16 in a car wouldn't have anywhere near the open highway potential for acceleration and top speed as a Viper would..

gear ratio

I think GT3 gives you a pretty good Idea what engines can handle with modified gear ratios ... Like snoop says in the song he did you the CD ... " It's hot like a kettle"

you can pull crazy numbers with a modified tranny on any car ... stock trannys are limited to levels, even the performance trannys in r-type, sir, rsx, viper etc ...

On a 93 DX hatch with an adjustable tranny, with some internal work ( h/c pistons, cams, rods) headers, exhaust, modified F/m system, rear bench removed, doors stripped, power steering removed ... you could probably hit the low 13's ( approx )

On of my buddies has a 96 civic dx coupe body
( car was done by RMR ) and he's hitting 13.5's ... N/A

all depends on how much flow you have $$$$

do not expect to pull 13's with 500$ invested

Originally posted by mohawkboom
Why..because of the B16 TRannies very aggreassive gear ratios... you top out at about 30mph in first gear at 8200Rpms in an SiR

Good point. Also I'd like to add that there are aftermarket final drives available for d series transmission as well. Thus rendering the d series transmissions close ratio just like those DOHC VTEC transmisions.:bigup:

About Viper transmissions... if you had them geared any lower 8.0 litres of displacement would be pointless. They run 13's stock, this imo is already sportscar category timeslips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back