manufacture product vs home made

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer_2003

I just wanna know something , i heard that there is no diffrence if you build ur own exausth pipe or if u just buy one already made ex: ( DC CATBACK). i would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of both wich one you guys recomand .

What do you mean by "building your own"? If you mean getting a similar product custom made, it often ( but not all the time) works out to be cheaper than buying. If you mean making an exhaust out of Canadian tire piping, it'll rust through very quickly.

I would say get the catback custom made, this way you know who made it, and chances are that it'll fit better.

Depends on the materials you use. a custom exhaust made with Stainless steel will never rust.

You can make your own exhaust, but its gonna be a pain. To do it properly you need to have a welder, at least MIG if you're gonna do an aluminized exhaust. I think someone mentioned TIG if you do stainless - I'm not sure you need tig for stainless though :dunno:

Either way, you're going to be doing a *lot* of trial and error to make it fit right. Then all those welds are prone to rust.

Unless you're real handy with a welder, have a nice chopsaw and a decent place to work (ie. a lift) and are very mechanically inclined, I'd say buy a mandrel bent cat back system, bolt it up and you are done.

If you're set on doing it yourself, I know JCWhitney sells regular and stainless tubing, as well as mandrel bent pieces.

Last edited:
Originally posted by racer_2003
I just wanna know something , i heard that there is no diffrence if you build ur own exausth pipe or if u just buy one already made ex: ( DC CATBACK). i would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of both wich one you guys recomand .
I worry about the word you use "home-made". A home made stainless exhaust is not at all the same as an exhaust from a company like DC sports. Big companies like that do a lot of testing with exhausts and minimal bends to get the best power gains. Custom stainless steel exhaust can be good quality IF and only if done properly by a real shop, but usually don't make quite as good gains as something from a big company that had a lot of "Research and Design go into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back