300ZX engine dies at High revs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

drews240

Could anyone tell me why my 1993 300ZX is dying when I rev hard driving and then wont restart for about ten minutes?

Fuel pump?

Electric?

Thanks
Drew

drews240 said:
Could anyone tell me why my 1993 300ZX is dying when I rev hard driving and then wont restart for about ten minutes?

Fuel pump?

Electric?

Thanks
Drew

Is the starter still working when you try and start it after?
If its not, the starting may be having a heat soak issues, where as the solenoid gets to hot and needs time to cool down.

Other than this initial point, it may be your fuel pump, as its tired.

As for driving hard, I wouldnt do so any more until you correct your problem.

Yes starter works

Thanks,

yes the starter still works, I do believe the fuel pump gets to hot and then needs time to cool down. Is that possible?

There is also a fuel pump relay would this be a problem? the computer located behind the drivers seat?

Any idea?

Drew

check the PCU unit, its a known common problem with the Z's. Sounds like similar simptoms.. ( I know, changed mine! looking at about 300$ roughly)... Its found front of engine, passenger side/center, looks like a square chip... Hope its not that but sounds like it... do a search online for PCU 300zx and you'll get alot more info... :dunno:

Fuel pump control unit

Thanks everyone.

So no one thinks it is the fuel pump control unit behind the seat? just want to make sure.

Thanks

Drew

Timing sensor?

On the drivers side on the timing cover there is an adjustable round timing plate, when I jiggle the connector on it, it cuts the engine off. I was checking the temperature of the PCU and i discovered that. I guess there was arcing when I was reving too high and it cut the engine. But why the delay to restart?

It is tough to test because you need a good stretch and hope that it does not die in a bad spot, also that it starts again after 10 minutes.

Is that where the timing is adjusted?

thanks guys

Drew

run a test on your computer.... pm me if you don't know how.. it should give you a code if it related to that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back