Theft deterant flashing L.E.D. lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy Member
I want to make my own, instead of going out to buy one of those flashy l.e.d. light bars used to advertise that you have kill switches/Alarm systems. Has anyone ever made their own? Does anyone have an electrical diagram? What can I do to make the l.e.d.'s blink, or blink in series?

Just in case this doesn't work out, how much should they go for in stores?

First, if you ask that question...it mean you wont be able to make a high tech circuit to make them flash like the led bar...

So go with a easy solution, Get a flashing LED from MasterVox or Addisson electronic, these usualy need 9Volt (not 10, 9) therefore, you'll need a resistor in serie with it.

13 Volt (average battery voltage) - 9 Volt (led requirement) = 4 volt

4 Volt / 25 ma (milli amp, Led comsomation) = 160 Ohm resistor.

Then find a way that it will only light up when the car is off....there is many way to do this..

using "+ 12 Volt On " as a ground (it almost become a pure ground when the car is turned off...cause of the load) so find a Battery + 12 Volt...and your done! :)

first you have to buy a led, a "relais" and a resistor.
after you just have to remove the under steering cover(depending where do you want to put it) and the best solution to make it flashing is to buy a
"relais" to make it flash!

if you also got an alarm just plug the led to where the old light was and it'll flash!

If you don't got any alarm one of the best way to do it i think is to plug it by the "relais" and after you can plug it to the ignition switch to make it flash only when the car is off.

Why to buy a relay? You can buy a 12V red flashing led (with a switching transistor incorporated) at any audio dealer for under 5 bucks. The blue one is 10-12$. After, you plug the + on 12Vdc and the - on the accessory wire. That's it.

Hey Man,,i saw today just what you are looking for,its 1 high output LED either blue,yellow,red,green. works on your car's 12v the store is called D.D.O electronics,,corner Blvd des Sources and Brunswick Blvd,in the west island,,they sold them for $12.95

they also have different style "chaser type" LED for a bit more money..

Why his he a moron?
It works perfectly in my friends CRX and get the thefts away (even when the doors where unlocked) . You only need to change the batteries once a year approx.

I bought a flashing led at Radio Shack 5.99$
Part number 49-08710

If it does'nt matter for you that it flash everytime, you can use your radio wires for the 12V.

Hope that helps

Originally posted by dalco
What a moron!

Last edited:
Hey tennis160!

I called TPS a couple of times. I had a very small shop called
Pièces Hautes Performances Simon St-Hilaire.
Unfortunately, I made more business with Montreal Wholesalers
(shipping cost and delevery time) but you guys at TPS are great!

I remember one of you, can't remember his name,(Jeff maybe?) sent me a copy of Grand Turismo for the playstation with one of my order 'cause i did'nt had it!

Hope the business is good for you guys!
(Still playing video games very late at night no? ;) )

see ya

Simon

Last edited:
BTW, those flashing leds are really easy to do if you have simple electronic knowledges ... I did a set and throw it to the garbage when it was complete ... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back