Turbo lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vspec

Legacy Member
I have a question, out of missfiring system and NOS is there any others way to avoid turbo lag. I want turbo but lag keep me out of it and I don't trust much NOS.
I know a small shot should get me out of lag but I don't want my car to explode at any moment.

Tell me everything!

How safe NOS is?

nos is safe if you use it in small amounts but too much and youve got a problem. ive seen some wrappings that supposedly prevent turbo lag but its bs.

I did not meant blowing the engine, I was talking about the car, I don't think insurance will cover that.

Nitrous is not explosive. all it is is a chemical compound which when heated to 572 degrees (i think) releases oxygen. the only way to blow teh car up is if the bottle is heated too much and of course since its under pressure goes boom. but Nitrous is relatively safe. just have a proffesional install it if you dont know what your doing and youll be fine. btw i think its illegal to have nitrous in montreal.

It not illegal to possses it and have it installed, but illegal to use it.

What about Tlag, I can I get rid of it?

Just bring me your head and I'll port it and Turbo lag is 90% gone!!!!
As long as your turbo setup is working fine!!!

A well balanced turbo that is matched to your setup is the key.

My turbo hits so hard that I can drift on asphalt in 2nd gear (my car is AWD). I actually went to a SMALLER turbo and the small loss in top end power is more than eclipsed by the improvement in reponse and low end torque.

Finding the right turbo for your application can be hard.

Running NOS to spool up a huge turbo is non-sense on a street application. This is good for 9 seconds trailer queens, not street cars.

I plan to hit 11.50s with this turbo, no NOS...

MonOncTsi, what turbo are you running?
Tell us a bit about your set-up? it seems to be a good one!!!

I've read a while back that some porsche guys run a small nitrous shot just before the turbo to help it spool up.I don't no if it work good or not...

Yes, it's supposed to do both, but I've never used NOS, so...

The thing is that you have to match your turbo to the size of your motor and to how high you want your power band. A turbo that is right for a 3.8L GN will probably be too big for a 2.0L Talon motor.

Picking up the right turbo is complicated. But as a rule of the thumb:

- small turbo, no lag but weak top end (stock turbos are like that, just look at the turbo on a 1,8T)
- big turbo, monster lag but crazy top end

Which means that there is something as going too big.

I have a 20G hybrid turbo among other things... Perfect turbo for my motor, very streetable and plenty strong. This turbo ran some high 10's on some very well tuned slightly reduced in weight Talons, so really, it's all I need.

For a list of my mods : dsmquebec.mine.nu:119/clu...profkey=10

cool page mononctsi, now i can build a car just like yours but it will be 50lbs lighter and then i could beat you....

I've been using NOs for the past 3 months on my car , and I must say it s great. But watch out for the cops, my firend got inpounded and he had to go to court with a lawyer to prove it wasnt connected.

yeah i wish we could have setups like the ones from fast and the furious. id be scred to have that under my ass though.

Nice setup MonOncTsi, Is your tsi the one Ben Camo and Luc built about 2 years ago at RMR. It looks alot like the one i saw them build....

In your honest opinion, do turbo awd dsm make a good reliable cars to daily drive and run in the mid to low 13's with the right tuning?
Because I'm looking into a turbo dsm for my next car and i read a hole lot about them but they seem to have cheap tranys...i was told they brake easily? specialy the 95-98,is it true...

Actually it would be a SR20DET, maybe I would add an intercooler, work the exaust line, chip or boost controler or both.

Thanx for the tips

If the DSM can handle 11's reliably, I'm pretty sure it can handle 13's as well. I think it mostly depend on tuning and the IQ behind the wheel. I've seen a lot of Honda break at Napi and they weren't the fastest but my friend Eric (who is I think the fastest Honda here, 11.74) never broke a single time and his car is daily driven.

I can tell you that a dsm that run in the 11's has upgraded his diff's because he broke the stock diffs when going into low 13's high 12's...
A dsm is not a Honda. Every car has its weekness and i ear that the dsm drivetrain don't like the big lanch'esss.. so this i why i ask monOnctsi to give some input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back