1998 Nissan Maxima SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lone_ryder

I am considering buying a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed for 7000. It has 155000kms. Is it worth it? Is it a good car? Anything can help. Thank you.

You're kidding me right? its a 5 speed with only 155k for 7000$? If you don't know that this is a good deal (given that the condition of the car is great), you reallly shouldb't be buying a car by yourself lol.

Neway, so I don't come off as a total bitch: These VG30 engines can go easy past 300k, thats why 155k is considered "low" by me. Its a "luxary" car that has great power. Its one of the fastest maximas (before the 5.5 gens) because its light weight with 222hp. This is a great, reliable car and yes, you should buy it cause 7k is an insane price considering most of the 5speeds go fro 9000k +

I got my 97 Maxima Se full loaded with leather, heated seats, wood on dash, but automatic for 6999$ there was 175 000KM on it, the car is clean no rust at all, leather is shinny. Your deal seems to be very good, this car is cool but expensive to repair, i changed a starter and it costed 350, also 1 bolt joint, 4 brake pads, 1 rotor disc with 2 rear brakes caliper costed 780, and i bought 4 tires for 760. So if your ready to pay for maintenance its okay.

If it's in good shape, it's a fair price. The 5 speeds sell for less than the automatics & the km's on it is average for a '98.
Just a couple corrections on subzeros's post, the engine is the VQ30DE, not the VG(older version) & the HP is 190, not 222(2000-2001).
I paid $7500 for my '98 GLE last fall, auto with 169K. My wife drives a '98 SE, but she bought it 3 1/2 yrs ago, so far it's just been normal maintenance.

Last edited:
SubzeroQc said:
You're kidding me right? its a 5 speed with only 155k for 7000$? If you don't know that this is a good deal (given that the condition of the car is great), you reallly shouldb't be buying a car by yourself lol.

Neway, so I don't come off as a total bitch: These VG30 engines can go easy past 300k, thats why 155k is considered "low" by me. Its a "luxary" car that has great power. Its one of the fastest maximas (before the 5.5 gens) because its light weight with 222hp. This is a great, reliable car and yes, you should buy it cause 7k is an insane price considering most of the 5speeds go fro 9000k +

7000 is a fair price. Maximas depreciate very quickly. The 5spd should sell for less than the auto, they are just harder to find. 9000 is a bit hight for a 98..I've seen 2001's selling for 11000 with lower k's.

Is the engine good? If i use carfax will it be the same as the nissan dealer? How much do you think the value of the car will be in 2 years or so? Thank you all!

The VQ engine has been rated 1 of the 10 best form many years, they have a no service timing chain & are known to be good for 300k, no problem. I have 191k & my wife's has about 230k, no worries.
I would try the dealer first, it's free.
The value shouldn't change much, most cars will depreciate fast up to a certain point, then much slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back