Info for Maxima 2002 (3.5L)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon833

I just bought a 2002 6 speed Maxima and I was wondering what kinda mods I can do to get a little more performance...

I looked around a little but i'd like to talk to someone who owns the same model for feedback before I start buying stuff.

Thanks

The best resource for Maximas is www.maxima.org. You won't get much of a increase in HP unless you get a supercharger. Apart from that an aftermarket Y-pipe is the best mod for HP, followed by cat-back exhaust, followed by an air intake. Combine the three and you could potentially gain 15-20 HP. If you ask me the Maxima is pretty fast as is, what it really needs is better suspension and brakes. You might want to think about starting there. Good luck with your mods.

Thanks for the reply! The 3.5 is indeed very quick for a sedan but I was reading on maxima.org and i'm thinking of a y-pipe and a intake but i'm not sure which one to get.. There is so many debates about which one is the best..

So far I think i'll get a frankencar intake with apexi filter and a cattman y-pipe.. What do you think?

Also.. what's the price for a supercharger (ballpark) ?

Jon833 said:
Thanks for the reply! The 3.5 is indeed very quick for a sedan but I was reading on maxima.org and i'm thinking of a y-pipe and a intake but i'm not sure which one to get.. There is so many debates about which one is the best..

So far I think i'll get a frankencar intake with apexi filter and a cattman y-pipe.. What do you think?

The Cattman Y-pipe is supposed to be good, I would get that first. As for intakes theres not a whole lot of difference, the Frankencar is supposed to be good. I use an Injen but again they're all really doing the same thing. Theres some good write ups on maxima.org about the advantages and disadvantages of the various intakes available. If youu've just bought the car I would also change the PCV valve (its about $15 from nissan and again theres a good write up on how to install it on the .org) and clean your throttle body with some throttle body cleaner from Crappy Tire, just to get the car running a smooth as possible. Good luck with it all, if you have any questions just PM me.

Jon833 said:

Stillen makes one that retails for around $5000 if I'm not mistaken, and then theres the labour to install it.

The y-pipe is not worth it on the 3.5's because it doesn't get rid of the precats like on 95-01's. The headers on a 3.5 are the way to go. They give anywhere from 20 to 30whp/wtq depending on which dynos you accept.

VQ240sx said:
The y-pipe is not worth it on the 3.5's because it doesn't get rid of the precats like on 95-01's. The headers on a 3.5 are the way to go. They give anywhere from 20 to 30whp/wtq depending on which dynos you accept.
Thanks for the info! According to Brian Catts (owner of Cattman), the y-pipe for the 02 max will give me around 7-9WHP for 360$ US. How much $$ are the headers for the 3.5 and should I go with Cattman as well?

Thanks

Check out Budget Exhaust / LSS Exhaust located in Ontario.

Budget Exhaust/ LSS exhaust

that's where I bought my stainless Y pipe and B/S pipe... for the price, can't go wrong..
I used my OEM cat since she had less then 100k km on it..

Basically, I changed my exhaust from the cat all the way back..

I have gained approx 10 HP by changing the y-pipe and B/S pipe..
keep in mind I am using OEM airbox since CAI will make me lose on low end torque.

hope that link helps :bigup:

Digitized said:
Check out Budget Exhaust / LSS Exhaust located in Ontario.

Budget Exhaust/ LSS exhaust

that's where I bought my stainless Y pipe and B/S pipe... for the price, can't go wrong..
I used my OEM cat since she had less then 100k km on it..

Basically, I changed my exhaust from the cat all the way back..

I have gained approx 10 HP by changing the y-pipe and B/S pipe..
keep in mind I am using OEM airbox since CAI will make me lose on low end torque.

hope that link helps :bigup:
Thanks! I'll look it up. My mind is pretty much made up tho... The header for the 02 maxima comes with the y-pipe and gives about 30whp.. That with an intake should be plenty for me! I'm just waiting for Bryan to come back to me with a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back