tech help: oil above sparkplug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter Steve

Legacy Member
my car had been running a little wierd lately, hesitating and such

so i changed the spark plugs, but as i removed the first sparkplug wire, it made a wierd noise and then oil came flying out everywhere. it appears that somehow there was a small collection of oil ABOVE my sparkplug on the 1st and 4th cylinder when looking at the engine from the front bumper (ka24de).

does anyone have any clue as to why this may be??

Steve S14 said:
my car had been running a little wierd lately, hesitating and such

so i changed the spark plugs, but as i removed the first sparkplug wire, it made a wierd noise and then oil came flying out everywhere. it appears that somehow there was a small collection of oil ABOVE my sparkplug on the 1st and 4th cylinder when looking at the engine from the front bumper (ka24de).

does anyone have any clue as to why this may be??

Sounds to me like the gaskets around the spark plug holes in your valve cover are shot.

They are easy to replace, pop off the valve cover and replace them, and maybe the main valve cover gasket at the same time.

SOHC240 said:
Sounds to me like the gaskets around the spark plug holes in your valve cover are shot.

They are easy to replace, pop off the valve cover and replace them, and maybe the main valve cover gasket at the same time.

thats the strange part, i just replaced the valve cover gasket about 2.5years ago

Steve S14 said:
thats the strange part, i just replaced the valve cover gasket about 2.5years ago

read sohc240's post again,

the problem is not with your valve cover gasket.
problem is with the spark plug gasket under the valve cover.

exactly , your valve covers sits on the head, and where it sits near the spark plug there is some sort of o-ring that act as gaskets

you should change the valve cover gaskets , those "o-rings" and the grommets(the rubbers rings that your valve cover bolt are actually tightening) at the same time , clean out your gasket surface really well and torque the thing properly if you wanna do a A1 job

this is the kit your looking for : however there is not grommets suplied with this kit... OEM kits will have them

459109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back