Sr20DET running rich: timing-idle-injector q's !URGENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter Steve

Legacy Member
Ive got a s13 redtop (first gen = no heat sinks) in an s14
running stock t25,
stock sidemount,
nismo FPR,
apexi twin chamber bov,
stock elbow,
stock downpipe and cat
and a 3" URAS catback

the car is running very rich and idles high at around 1300... i cannot seem to get it to go lower than that with the idle set properly, when i do the timing has to be all out of wack.

when i adjust the timing to 15, and rev the motor, it stays at 15 and does not move, is that normal?

also im unsure, but i wanted to know if the fuel injectors are continuous or if they are pulsed, and if anything other than just the computer will effect them.

i looked for an idle adjustment on the manifold near the iacv but i was unable to find one.

can anyone help me?

Yes the injector are pulsed
However you wont be able to see them with a regular test lamp , you need one with LED's
Why do you say it's running rich ?
Also, since the timing is electronic, i think you have to jump 2 pins or unplug a sensor to adjust it, otherwise your wasting your time, i'd have to go and check a SR20DET shop manual to confirm

Give me more info please , those are the kind of trouble i like to solve!

the problem is your Nismo FPR, unless your actually tuned for that you'll run rich since it's a 4 bar regulator instead of a 3bar which is stock..or you have an ecu tune to support it and you have a vacuum leak somewhere

mohawkboom said:
the problem is your Nismo FPR, unless your actually tuned for that you'll run rich since it's a 4 bar regulator instead of a 3bar which is stock..or you have an ecu tune to support it and you have a vacuum leak somewhere

i think he's been running the nismo fpr for a long time so i figure he had it tuned

anyway, could be anything on earth, unless i see the car i can only *blah*

the car is still in north carolina, im going by what my dad is telling me

I unplugged TPS to get out of ecu control

Idle was low, adjusted it up with the set screw on the butterfly assembly( the one that the gas pedal cable attaches to), set it to approx 750RPM ( Note by ear, no instrument-- but remember, your dad has a tuned ear for RPM--it is ****ing close-- I don;t want no shit from the purest gallery)

THen I set the timing, book says 15 deg, +/- 2, so I set it to 16,

life is good so far, reconnect the TPS, and the car instantly jumps to 1400RPM,

I blip the throttle while looking at the timing mark, the timing indexes do not advance, the timing remains at 16degrees, , this I do not understand,

and

I hope to borrow an oscilloscope to confirm the injectors are pulsed, I'm not up to speed with LED lamps or their trigger speed, but I know how to use a scope, in fact I can set the idle speed with an oscilloscope.

It's running rich because there is a ton of fluffy black powder on the plugs, the large fluffy carbon appears within 1 minute of inserting new plugs.
When you blip the motor to 2-3K, clouds of black smoke fumigate my front lawn,

My conclusion is one of two things, either it is getting too much gas, or not enough air.

The motor idles at 1300RPM, it also has an occasional backfire when returning to idle after a good blip.

I unplugged the TPS to set the timing, that seemed to put the car into default ( limp ) mode. set timing to ~16 degrees BTC.

I can confirm there is no vacuum leak, boost gauge registers around 12-14 , don;t know what the relative measure is, foot -pounds or once inches--what ever!!!!!!!

I have disconnected a vacuum line and the motor RPM rises about 200-300RPM and runs a tad rougher, put it all back together and it returns to normal.

I have not driven the car under load to see what it will do,

tonight I will readjust the fuel rail pressure since I played with it a bit to see what it would do.

Steve you gotta bring this S14 here to MTL, give it to Haig or 200SXBoy and theyll figure it out for you bro, I wanna see you sideways at practice with us.

im trying to

but now it seems that i might never be able to. Nissan USA will not clear the car of all recalls, because it was automatic and converted to manual by a garage other than them, and it has a recall on the auto trans button or some bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back