Are SUVs "better" in Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12 Inch Club

Legacy Member
I think that most people believe that an SUV is the best thing to have for winter driving. I disagree.
It's true that an SUV will have better traction in terms of straight line acceleration. Be it deep snow or icy conditions. But this can be very deceiving; because when you step on it and the car goes forward you think you have good traction, but when it comes to stopping the car you are %$&*ed. These things weigh a ton! Also it's safer to drive a manual car in the winter, and most SUVs are automatic.

SUV (or any awd car for that matter) are great in the winter for acceleration and to some extend handling. However, most people see that they can accelerate well and assume that they have the stopping power to go with it. Too bad that's not true. Having driven both extensively, I find that trucks, in general, do not stop as well as cars. On top of that, many owners of awd vehicules (of any sort) feel that since they have going traction, they don't need snow tires. Well to bad 4wd doesn't help you stop better...

Matt

They would definitely win a drag race in a storm but I agree that stopping is a science in heavy vehicle wether its AWD,4WD,FWD RWD your on equal terms!!!!!

As for standard being better well that all depends on whose driving!!!!

best thing to get is a little winter beater 4wd ( like a subaru ) you take it manual im sure you wont have no problems ...

MonOncTsi do you have experience with that!!!!!

Have you ever tried it???????????

HEY 12INCHCLUB..........i dont know who you are......but i'll take you in my blazer for a ride during the winter time and show you the true meaning of an SUV during the winter...i have 4 season tires, but i wore them out sso much that i need new tires, got myself some damn nice winter tries and the traction is amazing...so when snow comes, or even better, a storm....we'll go for a ride and we'll talk about the beauty of SUVs........:) :)
another thing is that you can plow down through snow and its such a nice warm car!!!!!!! hardly get stuck unless you go off roading......

We all agree ,,its the breaking part that everyone is saying that its no advantage!!!!!

yeah i know...SUVs should have "double braking" that would help.....

my brakes sucks....still stock :(

I think the most dangerous thing about SUV is the false sense of protection they give. Most drivers feel safe and secure because of it's size, weight, height and that allmighty AWD that can take them anywhere (or so they think!).

Those are the dangerous ones, those who know how to drive one properly are just faster off the green light ! :)

.:: MaxyChip7 ::.

I call them Super stupid!!!
They also have kids in the SUV and they are loose to in the truck!!!!

I almost feel like stopping them and giving them a good slap!!!!!

what????? tk......what do yo mean? i dont undertsand what you are saying.......care to elaborate?

You never saw kids in the back seats that are not strapped in their seats!!!!!

oh yeah ok, yeah i know what you mean.......hate when parents think like that, the first thing i do whne i get in the car is make sure everyone has their belt on.... and besides alllllllll my friends know they NEEEEED their belt on since they in for a gOOOOOOOOOd ride ;)

Driving an SUV on the highway is like pushing a wheelbarrow, in other words they have no handling.
I also totally agree with Maxchip7, these SUV give you a false feeling of security. When I'm driving my Vw Fox (with good winter tires) and loose control, all I do is step on the clutch and gently pull the handbrake if needed and I'm right back on track. You cannot do this with an SUV because when you loose control you end up pressing the brakes and making things even worse.

no no no.......you press the brakes, it stops...not as good as a car sure....one day i'll show you...

yeah you can lose control, thats why you gotta understand the body language of the SUV, and after driving them for quite some time, you get use to it, and know how to handle it...for me instead of panicking, im cheering for more cause its FUN!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

SUVs ROCK!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back