How are the Ninjas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

98cavy22

Legacy Member
I'm looking into getting a bike this summer. I've always liked the ninjas, but I've been told many things about them such as they're bad bikes, they're slow etc... And I've also heard good things about them like there's alot of them so there must be some reason for that.

Anyhow, this is gonna be my first bike, I've never been on a sports bike before in my life. I don't need a freaking R1, hayabusa, Augusta or whatever. A beginner bike is what I'm looking for, but not a really slow one that i'll get bored of in a few months.

What are your opinions on this bike and is there anything else that's good for this price range? I'm looking at probably about 4-6000.

i had a ninja last summer and loved it...depends on the size you want . for a beginer bike i have to recomend a ninja 500. its faster than a monster 620 ducati and is very easy to ride( simple upgrades makes then very fast). they have a good resale so when you want to upgrade its easy.
if you want a 600 then id say the cbr. its the most user friendly.good riding position ,useable power fast and reliable.

Cool. LOL, also gotta remember I'm used to driving a 2.2 cavy so any bike would be faster for me. Is the 500 enough or do you think i'm gonna wanna sell it after this summer. Will I regret not going higher?

EDIT: Also, what's the oldest you think i can get? I was thinking I should not go older than a 1995-96...

Last edited:
well depends on what you want. a ninja 500 is a great bike. i had one and loved it and ive owned full on 2 stroke race bikes and the 500 didnt bore me. ... if you are lookin for a wheelie machine then no the 500 wont do it. but if you want a bike more than fast enough to have some big fun with while still being a easy ride the 500 is the best. it will still do 0-60 in under 4 sec..this bike can last you a long time...

Pour 4 à 6mille $, premièrement sa va être vieux..
96 & - et à 6000$ p-ê quelques 97..

Puis je suggère toute les 600cc's,
tu peux pas avoir mieux pour un débutant..
Moi j'ai débuté sur un 900cc..
dans le fond, sa pas rapport le CC du bike..
c'est toi, qui a le contrôle de la poignée à GAZ!

J'ai eu 3 accidents de bike dans ma vie... et sérieusement
jamais causé par le bike.. juste par mes idées stupides hehe!

Toi ta l'air de vouloir une idée précise du bike à acheter..
sa revient toujours au même,, CbR, GsxR, Yzf, ZxR...

Tk.. Amuse toi! :D

Moi je change un peu de branche de Riding, je tombe sur
un Ducati Monster 900 S4 au printemps! :evil:
Tout noir, avec Jantes Polis, et au lieu d'un gros SealBeam à l'avant, sa va être 2 petits sealbeam..

Sa va faire différent!!!!!! :D

ChOw!

So, I think I'm gonna look into the 500 ninjas. I looked it up on the Kawasaki website and a brand new one is just under 7 grand! Not bad.

Originally posted by Shane54
Try to get the newest possible ZX6-R

thats a crazy bike for a new rider...
it will work and you can learn on it but the temptation is too much and you will want to push it. the 500 is a great bike..its fast handles great and offers sooo much for the price.

Ninja 500 is a great bike to start off with, so is the Suzuki GS500 or maybe even a SV650 made by Suzuki also. Don't go to 600cc super sport bikes, you will wind up on your ass in no time and don't worry, you will not get bored with a Ninja 500, you can ride 10 years without reaching the limits of a bike like that.

thats what i have, its actually a 400R ninja it was one of the first ninja's in production ('83) engine redone in '89

it was plenty fast at first, but once i rode by buddies' bikes (R6, ZX-7, 6R, etc..) my little ninja feels VERY slow compared..

i might buy a VFR800 this summer because i got a good insurance quote, the super sport will have to wait till im 25

btw: a 500ninja is MUCH cheaper on isurance compared to a zx6

Originally posted by track3000
btw: a 500ninja is MUCH cheaper on isurance compared to a zx6 [/B]

That's what I was hoping. :) Any ball-park figure? 19 y/o male, two years on the driving record no claims.

i was 22-23 when i had a ninja 500 and i have a clean record with my licence since i was 16 and i paid 250$ for the year, one way or it would be like $ 2200 for 2 way..i got 1 way as i didnt see it worth it to get two way..

Originally posted by track3000
388$ :D

Are you guys serious? That'd be awesome, I was expecting closer to a grand (others I know pay around that). That is tres sucre (very sweet :D )

My only problem now, though, is I can't find any on hebdo.net or in the magazines. Are they that rare?

iv had 3 zx7 over the years a 94 a 95 and a 97 after that 2 cbr 900 and now a rc 51 and i ave to tell u that from my experience the zx7 is the best first bike that u will ever by because its super stable in curves and does not have enouf power to jerk but enouf power to take u where u want to go and fast so take my advice and guet a good zx7 u will love it!!!!!!!!!

ZX7 is quite a bit more expensive though, isn't it? I'm still a student paying for a car :( I'm gonna stick with the 500 cause it's cheap and I've read a lot of good reviews about it.

good idea.. the 500 is good on insurance, gas and its fun as hell. the 7 is not a starter bike........

well ... as said earlier any bike is ok to start... depending on who is rigingn it :) I know that I would be too crazy on a R1 or similar thing ... SOooo I bought zx-6r 98 .... I rode my friend's one before and I loved it .... Scared the shit out of me haha:cool:

2 weeks And my baby is out !!!!!!!:cry:

Had a ZX-10 for years awesome machine back then, considered a "soft ride" now, all smaller ninja's are good beginner bikes, keep in mind a plastic sport bike is not always the best way to start off, look for a hawk gt(650) or CB1(400), or bandit 400 for a good first machine, remember plastic looks good but costs way more too! Think insurance then get some experience then you're ready for SPEED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back