how can I tell if my Fuel pump is defective? what test can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitized

Legacy Member
for almost 1 yr, whenever the engine is cold or if the max has been sitting ( engine turned off) for a few hours or overnight , I have issues starting..

the starter would turn and turn and turn, nothing...
I turn the key to off position, re-try, nothing, off position again, re-try, nothing again, repeast approx 5-6 times and eventually it would start.

I think I might not have enough pressure in the gas lines because from the off position to on, if I wait, eventually my gas gauge will raise by 1/8th of a tank..

Also, the car would start, but quickly choke and stall...
then I would have to turn the key to start again and sometimes will start immediatly and other times i would give it some gas as I am turning the key and it would start ( I know that's bad since I can kill the 02 sensors that way)..

now question is, is it my fuel pump that going bad? if so, how can I test/trouble shoot myself to see if it is the fuel pump or not?

now keep in mind, if the car is "warmed" up or already in motion, I have no issues when pressing on the gas... only on cold start ups( even in the summer, when it's blazing hot, I still have issues)...

can anyone help? please? I am tired of having to continuously start my car several times in the morning or be it any time the car sits for more then 2 hours...

did u check fuel filter....when my fuel pump was starting to go bad,my mecanic knock on it with a hammer and the car started,but after a while it got worst.....just knock on it like a starter if u got access to it.

You buy a fuel pressure gauge from Defi, autometer, etc, they come with instructions, usually you tee in near the fuel rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back