First things to upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

180sx-sweeet

So like the title says, i want to hear your opinion and expertise...

i'll be putting an rb25det into my 240 over the winter and want to know what you would do to up the power??

what mods would you get?

bolt-on or not? and what

intake or exhaust first?

i'm looking to make relyable power, so please leave your comments. and remember, i'm not made of money! lol

thank you
seb

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of installing a RB25 into my S14. First thing first, you have to ask yourself what kind of power you want. Also, as you probably know, the RB weighs more and is bigger. Considering this, if you want a good and reliable setup, you could do the same thing as I'm doing.

First, get some Top Hat Performance engine mounts that will put the RB lower in the engine bay and closer to the firewall, minimizing the chances of messing up the overall balance of the car. Also, you will need a driveshaft that you can get from Top Hat, or you could always use a yoke of a 300zx twin turbo with a custom driveshaft. You will also need a custom downpipe.

That's only for the installation of the engine in the car. While the engine is not installed in the car, I suggest you do the same as I did, which means changing all of the gaskets in the RB (get a complete RB25 OEM gasket kit) including the headgasket (OEM head gasket will do the job just fine, don't get a Cometic as it could cause some problems if the engine is not machined). Also, get a new clutch, along with a new water pump and oil pump. Also, new spark plugs and timing belt. Replace all hoses that are cracked, inspect the turbo and exhaust manifold for leaks. Also, clean everything to take off carbon deposits.

Last but not least, tuning! Get something good for tuning to make sure you're not running lean or rich (I got a Greddy e-Manage ultimate with a Wideband).

I know this is a lot of money (right now I'm at 4000$ and missing a 3" cat-back exhaust, high-flow cat, brakes and suspension to handle the bigger and more powerful engine) but if you do all this, you are making sure the engine will run great and putting all the chances on your side. I know you aren't made of money, but you haven't chosen the easiest swap cost-wise. If you want the swap to be reliable, you gotta take the time needed and buy what's needed also..

After all this, you could upgrade the turbo and achieve some nice power. You could always stick with the stock turbo, but I wouldn't suggest going over 10 psi as suggested by several RB25 owners, unless you want to lose some wheels from the turbo :p

If you have any questions about the swap just let me know, thanks.

Last edited:
I forgot, probably one of the most important thing to upgrade: the head bolts. Get some ARP head studs!

Merci! Il me fait plaisir d'aider si je suis capable de le faire. Constructive serait le bon mot a écrire :)

180 sweet,...... wooooot, . a must for a modification, . .. vida guerra in the back seat !!:D :D :D

g luck man

for the rb25, i would start with a complete internal upgrade, pistons rods cams and cranks, titanium valve springs and ported and polished heads.
that will insure a strong base. After the internals have been upgraded you could go for a twin plate carbon clutch. Then all your missing is two huge turbos and youl be close to untuchable.

it will cost you quite a bit of cash but if you really want a monster ride and love your engine you will spoil it with only the best upgrades.:bigup:

for the rb25, i would start with a complete internal upgrade, pistons rods cams and cranks, titanium valve springs and ported and polished heads.
that will insure a strong base. After the internals have been upgraded you could go for a twin plate carbon clutch. Then all your missing is two huge turbos and youl be close to untuchable.

it will cost you quite a bit of cash but if you really want a monster ride and love your engine you will spoil it with only the best upgrades.:bigup:

A bit of cash? That's like 50k just for the engine, **** that shit. And why twin turbo the RB25? And cams aren't internal upgrades, they are in the head, there's only 1 crank and valve springs are never made of titatium, it's the retainers that are titanium. Oh and there's only 1 head. You seem to read a lot of Super Street.

I totally agree with logik23, doing all of this is useless. I would invest more in a suspension that will handle all that power.

For the turbo, I suggest a nice GT30R upgrade. It will be more than enough.

For the turbo, I suggest a nice GT30R upgrade. It will be more than enough.

Very Good Turbo choice, the GT30R is very smooth and responsive on a RB25DET, and can still make up to 450WHP.

My recommendation for the engine

Metal Head Gasket
Genuine Garret GT30R Turbo
550cc Injectors (or 650cc )
Z32 MAF
ECU retune
Adjustable Cam Gears
3``Exhaust
Apexi Air Filter
OEM Nissan Skyline GTR intercooler R32,33,34 (very good core and good end tank, perfect for 500HP flywheel)

This will give you very good response, power, daily driveability and fuel economy(over the RB26DETT).

The will make around 430WHP reliable and linear powerband.

Robin

Very Good Turbo choice, the GT30R is very smooth and responsive on a RB25DET, and can still make up to 450WHP.

My recommendation for the engine

Metal Head Gasket
Genuine Garret GT30R Turbo
550cc Injectors (or 650cc )
Z32 MAF
ECU retune
Adjustable Cam Gears
3``Exhaust
Apexi Air Filter
OEM Nissan Skyline GTR intercooler R32,33,34 (very good core and good end tank, perfect for 500HP flywheel)

This will give you very good response, power, daily driveability and fuel economy(over the RB26DETT).

The will make around 430WHP reliable and linear powerband.

Robin

thank you very much robin.. i couldn't have asked for more!

although with that much HP, would it be more beneficial to go with a 3.5' or 4' exhaust? and about the maf, the Z32 is better then the skyline???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back