puttin in electric fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyRyder

alright my buddy has done this install, a eclectric fan for the rad and clutch ( i bielive) can someone explain how this is done? do they still go on themself or do we have to turn them on? is this cheap how much am i looking at? and its basicaly to replace the fans that use the pulley to have less strain on the engine, (can someone clarify which fans these are) thanks guys!

The cost depends where you get the fans, if you get FAL fans then it's pricey, but if you pull Altima fans out at the junkyard then it's cheap.

When they come on depends on how you wire them. You can get a temperature switch that you put in one of the rad hoses and connect that to the fans or you can just put a switch on the dash, but don't forget about them!!

Also you have a choice, if there are 2 fans, you can have both on or one for the rad and one for the AC or both on for the rad and AC, it's really all up to you.

Also, the clutch fan isn't for the clutch, clutch fan is the name of the fan that runs off the water pump because it's activated by a clutch-type doohickee.

So yeah, you take off the stock clutch fan and install electric fans. By the way, make sure they pull the air away from the rad.

away from rad? i always thought it was toward the rad? huem okay cool! so i can take the rad and ac fan from a altima, cause there electirc, ill look into this!

away from rad? i always thought it was toward the rad? huem okay cool! so i can take the rad and ac fan from a altima, cause there electirc, ill look into this!

all thats important is that the air flow generated by te fan is towards the engine. Depending on the position you install fan (blow thru or draw thru) the blades will have to be oriented a different way. Most after market blades are reversibles. Dont even think about reversing the voltage, it will work but cut the cfm by a dramatic amount. you need to remove the blade and flip it around to reverse the flow

You can install a switch to turn it on but it will most likely require a relay and a fuse. It is not recommanded to use a "radio shack" cheap switch to directly swith on and off a component that requires more than 10 amps. switch are reliable for 1 amps components.

An ajustable thermostat is about 60 $ us, you can specify the temperature where you want the fan to come on. there are some on ebay. or www.afco.com

go to the junk yard and look for a 91 ford taurus/mercury sable with a 3.8l V6 and take the fan off that. It is a 2 speed fan, low speed pushes about 2200CFM and high speed is about 3800-4000CFM.

I picked up mine from a junk yard for $30, all i had to do was pull it out myself.

I have mine set up with a flexa-lite adjustable switch which turns on the fan when the temp reaches about 195F, it is on for about 15-20 secs then turns off again untill the temp rises back up. So far it works flawlessly when idling and reving.

If you get one, it has to be form a 3.8L V6 not the 3.0L V6 models... it will say on the vavle cover

You can buy the temp switch at Performance improvements for 50 bucks. Its a simple device, you stuff it into your upper rad hose and when the temp reaches your set point it triggers a switch that turns your fans on.

go to the junk yard and look for a 91 ford taurus/mercury sable with a 3.8l V6 and take the fan off that. It is a 2 speed fan, low speed pushes about 2200CFM and high speed is about 3800-4000CFM.

I picked up mine from a junk yard for $30, all i had to do was pull it out myself.

I have mine set up with a flexa-lite adjustable switch which turns on the fan when the temp reaches about 195F, it is on for about 15-20 secs then turns off again untill the temp rises back up. So far it works flawlessly when idling and reving.

If you get one, it has to be form a 3.8L V6 not the 3.0L V6 models... it will say on the vavle cover

You can buy the temp switch at Performance improvements for 50 bucks. Its a simple device, you stuff it into your upper rad hose and when the temp reaches your set point it triggers a switch that turns your fans on.

thanks! usefull stuff

also, the stock ac/rad fan do i just take it out and take off the belts or is there a special way to do this?

Electric fans are so PIMP! :D yeah just pick up and electric fan of decent size and fit it to your rad ...then let the cooling begin :run: lol

This will be a fun winter project for me, koyo rad, greddy fmic, greddy oil cooler, a\c, so much stuff :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back