questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sspikey

Legacy Member
ive been wondering what these things are since a while just remembered though. what do sodium filled valves do. what about cryogenically treated gears? whats the point of welding a transmission case? what do HPC coated engine components give ?

The cryogenically treated gears is a process of deep freezing (just like Dr.Evil) to add extra strength and life to the parts.
HPC coating is a type of ceramic coating designed to protect, reduce temperatues and prevents carbon buildup. This can be used on the tops and skirts of the pistons as well as the valves. On the valves it reduces the temp of the exhaust valves and on the intake side it reduces the charge air temp by keeping the surface of the valve cool.

I think you might mean welding the differential. If that's what you mean, people do it to lock the front wheels together so they spin at exactly the same amount. Very good for straight line acceleration but lousy for turning. The outside wheel will want to turn faster. You can snap a driveshaft that way.

Sodium filled valves are supposed to dissipate heat better than regular steel ones. This was high tech in 1966 when they were first employed. People say that they are also more prone to breaking and sticking. I don't know if this is true or not. They are most often used on the exhaust side. Alot of manufactures use them as original parts and I don't see hwy you can use them if your car does not already have them.

LSD is a mind altering drug man...where have you been??

Seriously, LSD (Limited Slip Differential) does just what's it's name implies: It allows only a certain amount of slip from the inside wheel. For example: If you are driving a front wheel drive car with a fair amount of power and torque around a tight corner and try to accelerate hard out of the corner, generally the inside front wheel will spin causing little acceleration. The same car equipped with a LSD going around the same corner will be able to pull cleanly out of it. The LSD will transfer the power to the wheel with the MOST traction. A non LSD equipped car will transfer most of it's power to the wheel with the LEAST amount of power.
So, what have we learned: A welded (or locked) diff is good for drag racing, bad for everyday driving. An open diff (stock on most cars, some exceptions) is good for normal, non aggresive street driving, bad for racing (any kind). An LSD is great for street, road circuit and to a certain extend, drag racing too (certainly better than an open diff).
If you have more questions, call me at the store
(514)339-5722
Hope that all made sense!

Matt

LSD=limited SLIP differential, it allows a wheel to slip just a little b4 locking up, some LSD are adjustable but you need to take them apart to do so.

Here's another tech question: Is a Locked Differential the same as having positraction? the way I understood it was, with positraction both wheels spin at the same time. Thats also what I though a Locked Diff did. But I know I'm wrong :) thats why I'm lookin for guidance.

Posi traction was offered on Domestic RWD cars and yes, it's like (or is) a LSD. A locked diff. is exactly that:locked. It will never transfer any less than 50% power to either wheel. Posi traction is a LSD so it will still allow a certain amount of slippage to be able to make U turns and stuff like that.
Have you ever riden an ATV before? Ever try to make a tight turn on the grass? You know what happens? The inside wheel tears the sh!t out of the grass! That is an example of a locked diff (they don't have one).

alright thats cool that made alot of sense. cuz ive heard this from someone which i dont trust alot that having a rear lsd (rwd) can give you almost 1 second extra on a 1/4 mile run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back