The ongoing VOLVO info hunt (started as windshield)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nismoALTIMA

I'm buying a 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo in 10 hours and I need to know how much a windshield costs so I can try to negociate it into the price. The one on the car is cracked and the guy is trying to tell me it only costs around $100 to replace. YEAH RIGHT. I need to get him to bring his price down a couple notches. Also the pump (compressor?) for the air conditioning doesn't work (heat does work)...price for that too if anyone knows! ANY ANY ANY info, even guesses are welcome. thanks guys!

Re: NEED INFO re: Volvo windshield cost...EMERGENCY!!!

Call tomo moarning but Its gonna be expensive,, I say 1000$ MIN. for both,

ANY ANY ANY info, even guesses are welcome. thanks guys!
HAHA... ok well first off nice purchase. Second off my guesses:
Winshield: $800 (or if the cracks arent that bad, have them patched/injected.)
Compressor: (this one I have no idea) $700-$1100

But both of these are guesses. So don't take them seriously. I'd say call a Volvo dealership around 10am, or wheneve they open, and ask a tech guy! Or tell him before you purchase it, you want him to come with to a dealership to have the damages appraised. Or better yet, sign at his price, and say you want to go 'double check' on his quotes for the winshield and compressor. Legally he's not allowed to provide false information, especially of stuff that is known to him, or that he should know to sell the car.)

Not sure about the windshield, but my advice is that if the AC doesn't work, it is sometimes better to just leave it alone.
By the way...we will have to hold some Volvo races!!

Matt

thanks for the responses guys....I got $250 knocked off the price...not tooooo bad I guess. The car pulls like a mutha ****a though! Anyways as it turns out the is a place that will replace it for $220...with new glass believe it or not! I'm open to Volvo racing...I can't believe how fast this car is! I'm not sure if it's "faster" than the Altima, but it definitely feels more powerful.

Horsepower 160
Torque (lb-ft) 160
Displacement (cc) 2350
Turbo/Supercharger Turbo
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.41 X 3.94
Compression Ratio 10
Fuel System SEFI

Damn...now I want turbo in the Nissan...@#%$!

Anways...turns out I didn't have time to inspect the car and when I got it home the parking brake didn't work. Oh well. The car drives AMAZING, no squeeks, pulls, rattles, groans....pure power and smooth shifts. So I'm happy.

NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF:
1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler, black on black, 4spd + O/D standard transmission

What kind of Volvo do you have Lowlife8?

I have an 87 760 Turbo. Also has the B230ft engine, but I have a manual boost controller.
The differences are (I believe) that I have leather, power everything, heated mirrors, fancy equalizer equipped radio, heated seats...it's a different trim package. Is yours manual? Mine is auto...and brown! The only things I don't like about it.

PS: Watch out, it is a handful in the snow, but very fun too!

Matt

The guy who I bought it from said I could turn the boost down in winter....does this mean I have a boost controller too? Or did you mean yours was accessible whle driving? And a "handful in the snow"...please elaborate!
thanks

Rear wheel drive with no limited slip rear diff....once you get going it is a tank, but its a pain to get it rolling. If yours is stock, I wouldn't turn down the boost. Your running about 6 psi....

I have to go under my hood to get to my boost controller.

Matt

What's the max the boost can be cranked to? And at maximum do you know what the horsepower rating would be?....Stock is 160 I think. Thanks!

The stock fuel system cam handle 16 psi of boost safely (when it was new!) and motor. bottom end can take up to 20 psi(!!!) with out modification. At 12 psi you should be at about 200 hp. To gain another 10 or so hp do a 2.5" exhaust.
Check out these sites...

www.ipdusa.com

Ya turbo volvo's sure pull good...one of my friends has a T5 and goddam it pulls, great car, i like it! I have a video of the T5 vs. my friend's mazda MX6 (14.9 @94)........and my friend also has a "manual" boost controller called otherwise a "bleeder valve...but it doesn't do anything!...at least, not much! :( ... too much tech in those newer volvo's....anyhow here's the video, enjoy....!

inetsrv1.ctinformatique.q...S_Volvo.rm

I also have a video of the X6 laying down the smack on a 351 mustang in the same night!

inetsrv1.ctinformatique.q...g%20351.rm

Everybody had a turn at beating the, mustang poor him, he had problems with it i think....for further humiliation...watch this! :) ))

inetsrv1.ctinformatique.q...g%20351.rm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back