Wrong Drivers License number on ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schumy

Do i have any chance of getting out of a ticket on the basis of a technicality if the drivers license number on the ticket is wrong?

the cop switched the last two numbers so instead of 86 he wrote 68

thanks

oh, and since there was a car to my right and a car in front of me (basically boxing me in) how could a cop sitting on my right catch me with a radar (cinemometre) ???

If the car you were driving is under your name, even though the licence number is off, the ticket will still be valid. Also just with your date of birth in your licence number with your name, it is possible to find out who you are and where you live... so even if the last two numbers are wrong, it wont change anything.

What king of radar caught you? Doppler or Lazer...
With lazer, all the officer needs to catch is small part of your car.. just a headlight of a mirror is enough to get a reading... Lazer is like looking though a scope of a shotgun... and the beam is as precise.

well... the digits that are messed up are of my birth day, instead of 86 he wrote 68 ( the last two digits before the second dash)

I don't think it's a lazer, because the ticket says Cinemometre.

(left lane)__________(middle lane)__________(right lane)_______ (shoulder)

||| <- car in front __________________________________________ ||| <- cop

||| <- my car _______ ||| <- car to my right

A laser falls under "cinemometre" (sometimes called "speed measuring device" in English). It isn't necessarily "super precise", and also that very precision creates a lack of it (as the car is not a vertically flat object). The beam divergence is typically 3 mrad so at a few hundred metres that is, "car sized". The shotgun analogy is good... there is a scope, and the scope is fairly precise but what comes out of the shotgun is not precise at all. (to be honest a shotgun blast is much more like a radar than a laser...)

How close were you to the car in front? Think he could pick it off?

The likelyhood of beating the ticket merely on the error, especially being something pretty easy (eg 86 vs 68 not 86 vs 74) isn't very good. But I've seen tickets dropped for less... remember my dad beat one in a small town as the address listed was our old residence and we had recently moved. If you want to spend the time to develop a strong case with many little points your chances improve.

i was pretty close to the car in front since, and he was doing about the same speed as me..... maybe 5-10km/h less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back