1/4mile is it important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwmcoupe

Legacy Member
Why do u guys seem to judge a car by it 1/4mile ?
i was wondering that!
cause a car is not made just to go straight
Who cares if a car is fast in a straight line if it cant take a turn then whats it good for?
im talking about street cars!!
im wondering what u guys think?

A good balance between both is the best.

But a car's "performance" is usually based on it's accelaration!

BMW I can't answer ur question but are u whining just because u got urself a slow car
hehe j/k
Karim

Different cars for different people. 1/4 mile is a quick reference to a car's power relative to another, but my preference is versatility, which usually means comprimise. A Miata is SLOW in the 1/4, but it consistantly ranks in the top ten cars of all time since 1990, it must do something right!

of course you're not winning! he said you have a slow car... plus he said you were whining :p

lol i love it when u talk funny :)

Actually vrsik a cars performance isnt JUST based on acceleration. It's a combination of acceleration, handling, braking and top speed. It's great to have acceleration and top speed, but if you can't handle that sharp right up ahead whats the point, you'll get overtaken in the turn anyways. And if you don't have the braking to back it up, other cars with shorter braking distances will be able to hold there speed longer before entering the turn. When your talking about a cars performance there are lalot of factors involved, and personally (I've always been this way though) I like to have a car that can hold the road, and that can pull hard out of second or third. I don't know where the video is now, I found it somewhere on the internet, of a Lotus Elise racing a Corvette. The track had many long straights and many tight corners. At the end of the race, even though the Corvette had a good 200hp over the elise, the elise managed to hold it's ground not leaving the Corvettes bumper through all the turns. However on the straights it would fall severly behind, but once the Corvette was back in the corners again, the Elise pulled right back onto it's ass. Probably could have passed it easily, cept the track looked a little narrow, and I don't think they wanted to smash a car up if one of the drivers made a mistake.

But the point is, the Corvette may have more power and better accel/top speed but it couldnt hold it's own in the turns. I used these too cars as an example cause I saw a video of them, and it works out perfect to solve this argument. A straight line car vs. a car that can handle like it was on rails. If i find the site with the video I'll post it. But I'm not going to go looking for it. Hopefully someone else has seen it, and knows the link.

yes good answer , especially in montreal , breaking is so important with are ugly roads , winter and bad drivers !

to me 1/4 mile is a rough estimate of what car would win in a race whjatever the kind. but theres always factors dont forget cars that are made for autocross dont stand a chance in drag racing and same way around. each car is designed for something the reason why 1/4 is the most popular because its a straight out line not SO dangerous compared to autocross where a track and nice place has to be found some of which i know of but wont tell on this board. one of them is a block away from a cop station but is well worht it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back