spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauster

Legacy Member
I was looking at replacing the spark plug wires on my '93 ka24de... and I started thinking.... a basic physics principle is that a wire with a thicker diameter will offer more resistance... so why would I want to go with a 8 or 9 mm instead of a 7mm NGK for example?

Because you need resistance to have a good spark!! If the electric current can flow easily you will have a weak spark but if your current have some difficulty to flow and find his ground, he will be more powerful.

It's not a long explainaition but i think it's the essentiel to know. Hope it help you! :)

anyone care to explain in more detail? 'cuase I hardly see how decreasing the electricity flow to the spark plugs will help performance!
97_240sx perharps you have some insight on this? you always seem to be one to answer technical questions on this board....

There are a few reasons, like he said, you neeed some resistance, but the thicker, better wound and silicon covered wires also don't get the interferance from other electric shit that some of the cheap plugs do. There are limits, like 11mm ractive wires are just horseshit... lol. But still.. then there is nology wires, here is what they say about theres

"Nology HotWires are the most technologically advanced ignition wires available. HotWires create the most powerful spark possible. HotWires are engineered with a special built-in capacitor, exclusive only to HotWires. This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful."

I have seen em, I don't buy it, well, I do, but they are not worth 250 bucks. A good set of NGK's are usually pretty good, and for your car no more than 8.5-9... or its just overkill, like anything, there is such thing as too much of a good thing.

Oh, and I just wanna make sure you have no intention of EVER putting these on an sr20... cause they won't work. lol. just need to clear that up in case anyone asks (cept if you go dist setup.. but those are getting rare :) )

Last edited:
thanks... very enlightening....
wouldn't the capacitor on the nology wires retard the spark though? just a side note

The capacitor holds the charge and extra energy that builds or is residual during the time the ingnition is not firing... then releases said extra energy when the plug is meant to fire again... its the saved extra for when that plug isn't firing.

Thanks 97_240SX, i didn't want to explain it the long way cause i was in a hurry last night but you did great!:bigup:

By the way i never heard about Nology HotWires; good thing to know!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back