Is the Catalytic sensor important ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep It Sideways

I have a Skyline gts-t and I bought a Catless pipe so I can eliminate the catalytic on my car. The pipe came with a hole where I can install the sensor that in already installed in the original cat so I wanna know if it's important to take out the sensor of the original catalytic and install it in the new Catlless pipe.

Picture :

DSC01846.jpg

Thanks for your answers :)

Actually, thats a question I'd like to know as well.. I know you'll throw a code without a sensor.. but with one on a straight pipe..

you also could've let the 2hp go and preserve our ozone and have 80$ or so more in you're pockets :bigup:

you also could've let the 2hp go and preserve our ozone and have 80$ or so more in you're pockets :bigup:

Right, but actually, it's not about the ozone layer, its more about nitrous oxides (NOx) that are released in the air. NOx are usually converted into CO2 by the catalyst, but the thing is, having CO2 realeased in the air is much less worse than having NOx, because those create shits like acid rain and all. You're bettter of with a sports cat than non cat. And the hole is, like you guys said, for the O2 sensor. Removing it will **** your A/F ratios and the cat light will stay on your dash untill you replace the O2 (or lambda) sensor.

I have one o2 sensor in the dump pipe, I don't think they will put another that close.

they said on gtr canada that this is the sensor that calculate if the pipe is to hot and power on the light on the dash

Make sure it really is, as you've got two o2 sensors , once by the downpipe and one in the cat.
Make sure you plug your o2 back, cause you'll be running bad. Cause you do have a cat temp sensor, but there also is an o2 in there.

If I find the actual articule i'm going to post it in here. I think it's was either super street, modified or import tuner, I can't remember which one but they ran a comparison of how much is actually gained when running OEM cat vs. After market cat vs. no cat. I was very surprised to find out that the results. The gain is so minimal that unless you by an exhaust that comes with a race cat or you happen to have one lying around or something. It somewhat defeats the purpose to go off and purchase a race cat or test pipe because the cost vs. results doesn't pay off. It's arguable in certain cases, because obviously you have to take into account, exhaust diameter and other factors (ie:NA vs. forced inducton) but other than that it's a waist of money.

^^Whats the point of getting a 3" line if you're gonna keep the original cat? Defeats the purpose...

Ozone shmozone! It's not a couple of hundred tuned cars that will ruin the planet. You know that cows polute more then all the cars on the planet put together? And what about the factories? I'm glad they put cats on all cars, but it's stupid to worry everytime someone takes theirs off.

^^Whats the point of getting a 3" line if you're gonna keep the original cat? Defeats the purpose...

Keep the original cat maybe, but if you're gonna invest in an appropriate exhaust line, you should also invest in an appropriate catalyst converter, just like you should invest in a good exhaust manifold, and a good desing of the exhaust line, etc.

His cat was already on his car, and maybe he does run a 3 inch exhaust pipe, but my stock 2.5in with apexi catback makes the same freakin sound, and probably performs the same as his 3 inch. And I'm running a cat, so I don't see what's the problem with running with a stock cat anyways.
Running catless is reatrded, its like running a civic with an exhaust line that only has a resonator and no freaking muffler.
If they leave catalyst converters on race cars, I guess a street skyline on slightly-above stock boost can handle one too. And I mean, he's still got the stock airbox on his car, so running catless is absolutely pointless. And while my concern for the ozone layer may not be too high, my concern for acid rain that'll rip the paint off my freaking car is.:p

My 4 cents.

Oh you're right guys. I will ship back my catless pipe to japan and go to a nissan dealer and buy a brand new cat for my skyline so I can bolt it between my 3" kakimoto racing exhaust line and my 3" downpipe.Since you're right about ozone, I'll just sell my skyline and buy a hybrid civic. Thanks guys, you made me change all my opinions.

Did I asked anybody for their opinion about the fact that I take off my cat?? NO, I just asked about a freaking sensor. QUESTION ----> ANSWER ... No BLA BLA.

ps. thanks subzero for some back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back