altezza vs IS 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all: the engine 1s-300 last gen inline 6 from the late supra. Off course non turbo and kinda underpowered compared to the altezza.

Altezza: inline 4 cylinder developing around 240 hp: again, no turbo. The car is lighter and handles better

it's ok for the IS, but I can't figure how the altezza makes 240 ponies with an 2L atmospheric engine ?!!?

It's more power than the 3L from the is 300 and it has less displacement:dunno:

Are you sure the altezza is not turbo?
It would be logic if you compare to the EVO's 2.0L turbo 280 ponies, no ?!?

See ya later

correction

Hey guys!

Some small corrections for both of you and to make things a bit clearer.

Yes, our IS300 shares the same engine as the late Supra but it is not turbo. the engine is the 2jz-ge. 215 hp and 218 lbs of torque.

The japanese Altezza has the latest in VVTl-i technology and has the 2.0 litre 3s-ge in it. Hp is rated at 210 and 160 lbs of torque. No turbo. Completely NA.

The Altezza is lighter and more agile. Engine revs up to 8000 rpm and is extremely flexible. 3s-ge engine is easily tune to 450 hp without any internal modifications.

And Uncle Ben's, you semed surprised to hear about an atmospheric engine making 240 hp? Haven't you heard about the Honda S2000???

yes i know the s2000 engine, but this is the exception.
it's the best ration hp/liter for the cars on the market (atmospheric engines).
but those engines only make wind !! 240 hp and 153 lbs of twist.

it's similar to the h22's level of power and the torque is kinda less too.
both are great engine but they still make me think that
"there is no replacement for displacement"!! :D :D

but a non-atmospheric (turbo or supercharger) engine will give hp and torque, not only hp, like those vtec!!

toyota has vvti-i but it's not at the level (doesnt make so much hp) of the s2000's vtec.

that's why i was kinda surprised when he said 240 hp.
name an other engine such as the s2000's one !!:)

see ya later dude

The Special edition Nissan Pulsar VZ-R n1 in Japan made 200 hp out of a 1.6 litre sr16ve . That's 125 hp per litre. While the s2000 makes 120 hp per litre.

All that in 1997! 2 years before Honda released the s2000! Here's the current Version 2 now on sale in Japan by Nissan:

http://www.nissan.co.jp/PULSAR/VZ-R/index.html

Don't get me wrong, these are both highly tuned engines. Nothing stock in there!

As for Honda's Vtec, Toyota's VVTL-i is much more advanced. In addition to having a switch to bigger lobes on the cams for high power (what vtec is), Toyota has electronically controlled variable valve timing. Which vtec doesn't have.

Only the new i-vtec on the newer civics and RSX have electronically controlled variable vavle timing. 3 years after Toyota developped it. And if you read a bit about technicians impression on both systems, you will discover that Toyota's system is a bit more agressive and fine tuned tha Honda's.

And yes, no torque at all. Nothing below 6000 rpm.

i dont read japanese but that dyno chart is clear.

maybe it beats the s2000 ratio, ok. but here is (like the s2000) an highly modified engine, nearly a race engine. that pulsar is a special edition, plus it was released in japan.

sure it is a great engine, that nissan. Nissan has always made very strong engines, like the sr20det, which can take up to 20 psi safely.

vtec, ivtec, vvtl-i, vanos, there something to get lost fast !

am reading about vtec, i understand what it does but i cant figure what happens under the valve cover, can you explain me !??!
i'm reading too about the vanos system, which is different from the vtec.

thanks for correcting me buddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back