Help me decide if it's worth getting a G35

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippy

Legacy Member
So yesterday I looked at the black 2007 Charger R/T on sources. It's going for $31k. It's black and has 25,000km. Seemed pretty nice but the paint already had a lot of pretty bad chips, and the car scraped pretty bad on the speed bump in the dealer parking lot, going very slowly. The power was pretty good, but I wasn't blown away by the handling or the plastickyness of the interior. The seats were comfortable though.

Anyways... Before that, my buddy was looking at the new G37 which he says was very nice (much nicer than the Charger) but also much more expensive. So I checked out some used G35s... I didn't realize you could pick up 2003-2004 G35's for $17-25k.

So... Tell me, is a 6-speed 2003 or 2004 G35 better than a 2007 Charger R/T? I'm not talking about straight line performance or anything, but overall. Is the build quality much better in the G35? The consumer reviews I've been reading on the G35 have not been very inspiring at all. In fact, the reviews I read for the Lincoln LS were better.

What do you think?

It all depends what you want. The G35 is a fine sports car and the Charger is a big-a$$ barge.

You really need to drive them both. Just don't expect the Charger to be sporty in any way.

Well I didn't find the Charger to be sporty.. I was actually kinda let down for the price. Yes it was powerful, but it didn't really make me go "OMG..." at all, in any way.

Anyways... The G35 sounds really sweet, and I have always loved it just seeing them drive around - but the reviews I read surprised me. People complain about interior build quality, brake life, rattles, etc. Is this just a question of perspective (ie, they are usually looking at higher class cars?)? Cause the reviews on the Lincoln LS were really good.

Anyway I will have to check them out and make a choice.

Any year of G35 that is best? Should I avoid any one in particular?

I'm definitely looking for a coupe.

my dad has the Manuel six model and its amazing. When he got it serviced last time they gave him a 5 speed automatic g35 and i found the the tranny is boring and doesn't want to go fast. As for the Manuel five i drove one once at work and it seemed okay but the tranny felt a bit sluggish. Could of been that particular car. As for a year there all about the same in options. Just to clear something up that alot of people forget the manual six doesn't have the brembo brake package. Instead it has the 19inch rims. It still brakes like hell but not as good. But if you don't mind losing some braking performance for that sick look then the manual six is for you.

Well brakes can be changed so whatever - but the sales guy I spoke with at Infiniti yesterday said that all manuals were six speeds and that all manuals were "sport package" including big rims, the brake kit and everything. He said the only "option" is whether you get the tech package or not (nav, etc).

I saw one for sale, black on black, fully loaded with nav, everything you could get and 6spd, and 2005 - $25k. I don't know, but $25k seems like a much better deal than $30k for a used Charger (or $47k for a new one), and better even than a 2002 Camaro SS that's in the same price range.

Now I definitely want one after sitting in the new G37. Very nice! The back seat roominess is actually more than I expected. I like the interior very much compared to most cars. Good feeling sitting in there and the colors are good.

Any important info I should know before I make an impulsive purchase?

Also... Is it worth buying a 2005 from the dealer, or is it much better going private? I don't know how much they would ask for a used one at the dealer, but I have seen some on Lespac anywhere from $17k to $30k.

I want one black on black, 6spd, fully loaded with everything. I'm more concerned about the paintjob though ... The used one I saw in the parking lot had quite a bit of scratches but didn't seem too too bad, but I guess with any used car that is pretty much inevitable.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh and I was wondering also how the clutch and gears are on this car? Is the clutch high up, is it stiff/smooth (I'm guessing it's pretty smooth), is there a lot of pedal travel? I'm assuming the gears are nice and short since it's a 6spd?

And finally ... How does the power curve look like? Is all the power high up or do you get plenty at the low and mid range?

Oh and I was wondering also how the clutch and gears are on this car? Is the clutch high up, is it stiff/smooth (I'm guessing it's pretty smooth), is there a lot of pedal travel? I'm assuming the gears are nice and short since it's a 6spd?

And finally ... How does the power curve look like? Is all the power high up or do you get plenty at the low and mid range?

you can easily find out about all that by going for a test drive of one of the thousands for sale available everywhere.

Well brakes can be changed so whatever - but the sales guy I spoke with at Infiniti yesterday said that all manuals were six speeds and that all manuals were "sport package" including big rims, the brake kit and everything. He said the only "option" is whether you get the tech package or not (nav, etc).

I saw one for sale, black on black, fully loaded with nav, everything you could get and 6spd, and 2005 - $25k. I don't know, but $25k seems like a much better deal than $30k for a used Charger (or $47k for a new one), and better even than a 2002 Camaro SS that's in the same price range.

Now I definitely want one after sitting in the new G37. Very nice! The back seat roominess is actually more than I expected. I like the interior very much compared to most cars. Good feeling sitting in there and the colors are good.

Any important info I should know before I make an impulsive purchase?

Also... Is it worth buying a 2005 from the dealer, or is it much better going private? I don't know how much they would ask for a used one at the dealer, but I have seen some on Lespac anywhere from $17k to $30k.

I want one black on black, 6spd, fully loaded with everything. I'm more concerned about the paintjob though ... The used one I saw in the parking lot had quite a bit of scratches but didn't seem too too bad, but I guess with any used car that is pretty much inevitable.

Thanks for the feedback!

just don't buy one that belonged to a woman. they NEVER maintain them.

Here is my 2 cents

I've had my 2005 G35 for 2 years now and the more I drive it the less I like it, it's a love/hate relationship

Let me start with the bad

- Maintenance is extremely expensive, if you follow infiniti's guide your going to spend around 1200$ a year and this does not include oil and brakes

- Brakes do not last long changed after 1 year - front rotors, and all 4 pads

- Brakes being none brembo are good but not after several hard drives, the fading is just terrible and gets worst the more you push it

- Power curve is just too high, nothing and I mean nothing under 3000 rpm still nice but considering this is a 50k car youd expect more from this engine

- VDC which controls the entire car basically, ABS and keep you on the road in hard curves is crap it's always trying to control you.

- High end power is next to nill, above 120km there is just nothing, VW golf have better high end then this car

and finally if your going to drive this in winter well have fun, the VDC is always in the way, no handling, no traction very bad no matter what tires you put on

The good

- Very comfortable
- Economical considering the type of engine especially highway, about 550km a tank driving 120km - 140km
- Handling is just incredible
- looks absolutely great
- manual transmission is superb
- clutch could be a bit better, not stiff and not low
- Excellent sound system
- no ratals in car at all
- very reliable, in 2 years nothing has ever gone wrong or broken, besides the maintenance, several different air filters, checkups, alignement and all kinds of things they want to charge you... it's just very good

So for me I'm 50/50 on this, just wanted to give you a good insight on the car, but if you do want one take a 2005 or earlier because the manual tranny on the 2003-04 is terrible, the synchro is off from the start you have to push hard to get it in gear while it should be smooth, and there is more power from 2005 298hp compared to 280hp earlier models 2006-07 power is at 293hp don't know why never found out why!!!

So if you want to know more just ask

Here is my 2 cents

I've had my 2005 G35 for 2 years now and the more I drive it the less I like it, it's a love/hate relationship

Let me start with the bad

- Maintenance is extremely expensive, if you follow infiniti's guide your going to spend around 1200$ a year and this does not include oil and brakes

- Brakes being none brembo are good but not after several hard drives, the fading is just terrible and gets worst the more you push it

- Power curve is just too high, nothing and I mean nothing under 3000 rpm still nice but considering this is a 50k car youd expect more from this engine

- VDC which controls the entire car basically, ABS and keep you on the road in hard curves is crap it's always trying to control you.

- High end power is next to nill, above 120km there is just nothing, VW golf have better high end then this car

and finally if your going to drive this in winter well have fun, the VDC is always in the way, no handling, no traction very bad no matter what tires you put on

The good

- Very comfortable
- Economical considering the type of engine especially highway, about 550km a tank driving 120km - 140km
- Handling is just incredible
- looks absolutely great
- manual transmission is superb
- clutch could be a bit better, not stiff and not low
- Excellent sound system
- no ratals in car at all
- very reliable, in 2 years nothing has ever gone wrong or broken, besides the maintenance, several different air filters, checkups, alignement and all kinds of things they want to charge you... it's just very good

So for me I'm 50/50 on this, just wanted to give you a good insight on the car, but if you do want one take a 2005 or earlier because the manual tranny on the 2003-04 is terrible, the synchro is off from the start you have to push hard to get it in gear while it should be smooth, and there is more power from 2005 298hp compared to 280hp earlier models 2006-07 power is at 293hp don't know why never found out why!!!

Desole mais a quoi tu t'attends de la part d une g35 cote power?C'est 29xhp quand meme! Pas mal je trouve pour un v6..Loin d'etre une bete comme la gtr que tu possedes surment mais c'est loin d etre une tercel!!Ya du torque en masse et des hps suffisament msemble..

but if you do want one take a 2005 or earlier because the manual tranny on the 2003-04 is terrible, the synchro is off from the start you have to push hard to get it in gear while it should be smooth, and there is more power from 2005 298hp compared to 280hp earlier models 2006-07 power is at 293hp don't know why never found out why!!!

point by point:
- I don't know what you are talking about for the maintenance cost... in two years, it only cost me a front tab bushing...
- I have the brembo and they never warped nor fade... and for the pads: something that really brakes makes noise, dust and do not last very long... it all depend on what you expect from your brakes...
- VDC is for women... take it off and you're fine
- the ABS is just awesome!!! the 250 to 0 km/h is just aaawwwwwwessssommmmeee!!!!:yikes:
- G35 is simply not designed to be winter driven.... except for the G35X
-The reason why the claimed power passed from 298 to 293 is simply due to the fact that all manufacturers changed their way to calculate flywheel power...

And by the way.... I track the car every week-end and daily drives it!!:bigup:

I think youre getting a 05 black on black G dude. Nissan/Infinity is the way to go. Everything else is horse pooky

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back