Gym fanatics !

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj4j

calling on all of you 'experts'

im going to start working out soon. would like your advice.

im not chubby, just normal, 130 lbs and 5''8. i would like to build STRENGTH. i have lifted before but on and off. this time is for REAL! :yikes:

i have saturday-sunday-tuesday-thursday-friday - 5 days

should i work full body /3 days??

give me a schedule if u can :) thanks.

im not a fan of full body work outs....

you end up doing every muscle half assed.

what i do is:

Day 1: Back/Biceps
Day 2: Chest/Triceps
Day 3: Shoulders/Legs

this doesnt necessarly mean there are only 3 workouts a week. once you finish the cycle just start again

and if you want strength, lift heavy and always get help from someone to tweak out a few extra reps...the extra reps will make a huge difference in the longrun...

and work the hell out of the muscle...shock it as much as you can

oh, and start thinking of how you're gonna fit alot of protein into your diet

Just get into the gym and start visualizing where you want to be. I started my new workout regimen exactly a month ago today and I see a drastic change in what I look like, how my clothes fit and the way I feel. Try to workout using weights at least three times a week while maintaining a good cardio workout in the form of the treadmill or even ball hockey once/twice a week. In regards to protein powder/shakes, it's probably the best decision I made for myself in a while, I make it a point to have protein everyday now and not only have I built muscle faster, however, I have lost weight and it's helped me stay full throughout the day, just get yourself motivated and everything will follow.

I make it a point to have protein everyday now and not only have I built muscle faster, however, I have lost weight and it's helped me stay full throughout the day, just get yourself motivated and everything will follow.

I dont think he wants to lose weight ... Im in the same situation. Im 5'10", 150lbs and Im going back to gym next week. I gotta gain weight and muscles. So do I have to stay away from cardio machines?... althought I really need to get some cardio back cause right now I suck balls when it comes to endurance.. :dunno:

im not a fan of full body work outs....

you end up doing every muscle half assed.

what i do is:

Day 1: Back/Biceps
Day 2: Chest/Triceps
Day 3: Shoulders/Legs

this doesnt necessarly mean there are only 3 workouts a week. once you finish the cycle just start again

and if you want strength, lift heavy and always get help from someone to tweak out a few extra reps...the extra reps will make a huge difference in the longrun...

and work the hell out of the muscle...shock it as much as you can

oh, and start thinking of how you're gonna fit alot of protein into your diet

Half-assed? Not.

If you workout properly, a full-body workout can really benefit you. The problem is most people don't do it the right way....

Anyways,

I don't know your training background, but before you start concentrating on pure strenght, you'll need to make sure your body can support all the weight. That means you need a good inner core, solid joints, etc.

When that is taken care of, you can get into a strenght-oriented workout. 1 to 8 reps per series is the general rule for strenght training. Make sure you really push yourself, that's how muscles will grow. You can vary the number of reps you do sometimes (do more, do less), this will keep the muscles from "getting used" to your training.

Deadlifts, squats, preacher curls, bench press, etc.. Lift heavy, but always with GREAT form. Don't let your ego get in the way.

Finally, make sure you get enough rest and nutrients or your muscles won't grow/get stronger.

Not to change the subject or anything

But do protein shakes have any down sides?
I’m the same height and weight as aj4j lol and I just started at the gym about 3 weeks ago. I want to build some mass and get toned like a mofo. I know shakes would help but I’m a little skeptical :s

Not to change the subject or anything

But do protein shakes have any down sides?
I’m the same height and weight as aj4j lol and I just started at the gym about 3 weeks ago. I want to build some mass and get toned like a mofo. I know shakes would help but I’m a little skeptical :s

Take the shakes or eat meat like mad. I stopped the shakes for the past 2 months cause i wanted to eat better and I want my protein intake to be more "natural"... then I got injured. One of my muscle just worn out for a lack of nutriments. Now I can't train my chest anymore :thumbsdow

In my day-to-day routine, its too difficult to get the same nutriments from meals than with 1 or 2 shakes a day.

If you want an amazing and very very very hard routine for overall body conditioning and strength, nothing at all beats this..

http://www.seansherk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240

Below is what i do. Yes, this is more of a Body building style schedule but the movements that you do play an important role as well. Not just the days and body parts.

Day 1:

Back and core

Day 2:

Chest and shoulders

Day 3: Legs and core

Day 4: Arms

But, i would strongly recoment for the first 6 weeks that you do 3 days, full body cycles, changing the movements that you do per muscle on each day. This will get your body used to the lifting and movements. To start, doing an isolated muscle days (arm day etc) will not be very effective (although everyone is different so i can only say what worked for me).

Example:

Day 1, one movement for biceps, back,tris,quads etc. do a run of the gym 3 times (3 sets per excercise)

Day 2, do the same but chage the excercise that you did.

Day 3 , again the same. run the gym but change the movement.

By doing only 3 sets per muscle taking a day or 2 off will be plenty of rest before going again. the purpose of this is not to build yet, but to get you stronger for when you start going heavy.

Remember diet is 70% of all this so make sure you get enough protein, take carbs when you need them (ie right after) etc.

but once you start going you will find what works well for you. everyone is different and you will start to learn what works and what isnt.

Have fun.

ive read that few months ago.. just too much detail, i don't want to be bodybuilder, just want pure strength and good looking body.

thanks turbora for the advice.

This is NOT a bb routine, it is for strength...

I don't see how much simpler this workout gets:
5 different exercises, 3 exercises x 3 times a week, 3x5 + 2 warmup sets

I've tried it out since I've started school in september, didn't go to the gym all summer and my squat, dl and bench all went up at least 60 lbs in less than 2 months.

I threw it out there because I wish I had known about it sooner.

How do you manage to work biceps and triceps in the same workout?
Do you super set them or do one after the other?

The reason why i do is because in the past i did back and Bi's but found that after a back workout (almost all back movements work the bi's to a certain extent) they were too tired and already pre exhausted. Same when i did chest and Tris.

Doing Bi's and Tri's in the same day is fine. you can super set them or not. doesnt make a difference. My arm day is far from my back and chest days so they are fresh..

But after playing around, i found the best for me is:
- 6-8 sets of Bi's(ie 3-4 sets incline alternate curls,3-4 sets ez bar curls)
- 6-8 of Tris, ( again 3-4 sets of one movement, 3-4 of another)
- 6-8 of Bi's (ie 3-4 set straight bar curls, then hammer)
- 6-8 of Tri's.(again 3-4 sets of one movement and 3-4 of another)

Each week i alternate what muscle and movements i start and finnish with and always finnish with 4-6 sets of forearm.

Bike = legs cardio etc..

More and more Push-ups and ''redressements assis'' each night of the week..just add a couple each week like you feel to.

Works for me and it's simple to get used to and it doesn't take a lot of time.

And eat good! that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back