the rarest of them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonfed

Legacy Member
The 1968 Yenko Camaro. COPO 9561, as it was internally known, was a bare bones Camaro (no A/C, radio, etc..) that Yenko would tear apart, make his own options, and at the heart of it all install a big block 427 V8 that would tear your face off if given the chance. Yenko owned a performance minded Chevrolet dealership in Canaonburg, PA. During the early 60's Don road raced modified Corvettes, and Corvairs that were prepared by mechanics at his dealership.

With the introducton of the Camaro by Chevrolet in 1967, Yenko began doing engine swaps for customers who wanted more performance than that offered by Chevrolet's Big-Block. He began shoe-horning L72 427ci into Camaros. Two horsepower ratings were offered: 435 hp and 450 hp as an option. Yenko and his associates transplanted 427 engines into Camaros themselves in 1967 and 1968. But in 1969, they were able to order cars with the bigger factory engines installed. These later cars are officially COPO (Central Office Production Order) cars. Yenko also had a 140-mph factory installed--something usually done on police cars. In all 201 of these wild machines were built for Yenko by Chevrolet with Z/28 suspensions and 4-speed close ratio transmissions, or if an automatic gearbox was preferred, a four speed M-40 automatic was offered.

After these cars were trucked to his dealership, Yenko added his own exterior decals and changed the emblems to differentiate his Camaros from other COPO cars. A limited accessory list was offered for customers of the Yenko specialty model. The Yenko cars were delivered with the factory invoice sticker that included modifications done outside the factory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE RAREST OF THEM ALL
The rarest Yenko of them all is a 1968 427 model. It is COPO #8008 Camaro 9731/1001. Factory documents reveal this particular model is a 427 COPO car, which makes it: -The rarest documented Yenko (of the classic Drag Racing Marque) -The rarest documented Super Stock/High Performance car -The rarest documented COPO (Central Office Production Order High Performance Prototype)

68yenko.gif

Just thought I'd give Chevy some Props...The Yenko Camaros were cool but you can't forget the LS6 equipped Chevelles!!

Wow, that's pretty cool
Do you think you could explain shoe-horning to me? I know it has something to do with the method of installing an engine that doesn't fit into the bay.

Yenko Copo's

Aluminium block too....I remember an old XT game called Test Drive "the duel" where you could spank Ferraris with it...THis car has also won the Silver State Classic (Nevada) car race in the unlimited class at an average of 201 mph over vipers,porches,ferraris,and the rest.....

ZL1 427

If i remeber correctly i had a friend who had an orange 1969 Camero .It was not the Yenko ,but it had the aluminum 427 with the powerglide .I think they called it a ZL1 like the Corvette .It was stolen . He was somewhat lucky ,as he was rebuliding the engine and only the body was taken .I don't know the number made but i am guessing it's a rare find .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back