Mercedes 190E a good track car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadim 323Ci

Legacy Member
I'm a BMW guy and I don't know Mercedes much, but I love the 190E.

I was wondering what's the track potential for a 190E. I believe the 2.3L 16V is the engine to get (evo's are out of price!). Any specific year better than the other years?

Are race parts readily available? Coilovers, sway bars, urethane bushings, camber plates, big brake kits, rollover cage, oil cooler kits, ... or everything has to be custom-made? If they are available, are the prices reasonable (comparable to BMW)?

Is the 2.3 prone to over heating? Any known weaknesses in the chassis or suspension component?

How is the tranny? Solid? Any shorter differential swap available (from automatic cars maybe)?

Ok I'll stop here for the questions for now. :D

This is just sooo nice :

00051347.jpg

4535729b.jpg

236490_171_full.jpg

Old-school benz FTW :
MB_40years-AMG_940_1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
Demande a carl nadeau....y en a deja eu une en touring....

il est sur le forum....D-Bolt-t....son nick

yes it's a good track car, but first your picture is a HAMMER, rare as ****..still worth 88000-90000 US $ today, indeed a real beast, built for race only.

:drool: im actually going to build one this winter for my self. Just in the planning parts out right now. And have a running thread http://www.benzworld.org/ with allmost the same question as you.

Si tu veux sauver du temps/argent (crois-moi , monter une auto de course est un véritable ''ruine-pays'', l'ancienne de Nadeau est a vendre

http://www.freewebs.com/twr00/mercedes.htm

Pour un autre ressource pour les 190, il y a le REV

http://community.190revolution.net/

sinon, tiens nous au courant pour les develloppements :bigup:

Nadim, j'ai plusieurs amis qui ont des M3 et qui ont aussi conduit ces 2.3 16v. Ils m'ont dit que le "handling" n'est pas aussi bien équilibré que la M3. Le moteur, est équipé du K-Jetronic, et est quasi impossible à tuner. Il faut absolument installer un Alpha N pour penser sortir un peu plus de jus que les 170hp d'origine, alors que la M3 en fit 189.

Cependant, avec tout le support d'usine les 190 étaient les rivaux des M3. Conduites par Ellen Lohr, Kris Ludwid and Bert Schneider, les 190 tiraient très bien leur épingle du jeu.

Personnellement, j'opterai pour une 190 comme daily driver, et une M3 comme track car... Crois-moi, la M3, avec très peu de mods, est magique.

springfling_2007_0878.jpg

Si tu veux sauver du temps/argent (crois-moi , monter une auto de course est un véritable ''ruine-pays'', l'ancienne de Nadeau est a vendre

http://www.freewebs.com/twr00/mercedes.htm

Thrust moi je sais cest koi de monter un char pour la track jle fais comme gagne pain. et je metait fais dire que carl lavais vendu deja ya un bout?

Pour un autre ressource pour les 190, il y a le REV

http://community.190revolution.net/

Jsuis pluger sa leture depuis un bout et je suis bien dacord que cest bcp mieu que benz-world pour linfo je trouvait juste sa commique parceque javais posser la meme question sur benz world :p

sinon, tiens nous au courant pour les develloppements :bigup:

Jvous promet que je vais vous tenir au courant du build un fois parti :p

Lee; said:
Le moteur, est équipé du K-Jetronic, et est quasi impossible à tuner. Il faut absolument installer un Alpha N pour penser sortir un peu plus de jus que les 170hp d'origine.

Qui qui a dis que sa reste benz la mecanique

Personnellement, j'opterai pour une 190 comme daily driver, et une M3 comme track car... Crois-moi, la M3, avec très peu de mods, est magique.

on vien de finir un e30 donc pourquoi le faire encore.. du changement sa fais du bien et en plus la e190 est la rival de la e30 :p

Charles
CP Performance.ca

cyhu.

Si on achète une voiture c'est pas pour mettre un moteur d'une autre marque.

J'ai déjà un M3 e30 pour la track. La 2.3 16v c'est du changement, pour la rue.

Je savait jallait me faire hater et je suis daccord sauf jai pas choici le 190e pas parceque je trip 190e mais parceque la 190e a tomber choix #1 sur une liste de bcp de char a swapper next..

Moi je dit GO for it!!! Surtout si tu swap une mécanique d'une autre marque, tu vas avoir les points forts(suspension, chassis) de la 190e sans les défauts(manque de puissance).

La suspension arrière est pratiquement ce qui a été fait de mieux, toute marque, modèle, année confondu!! Mets de la puissance là-dedans et tu vas avoir une bête de track un peu "sleeper"!:bigup:

I was wondering what's the track potential for a 190E. I believe the 2.3L 16V is the engine to get (evo's are out of price!). Any specific year better than the other years?

1985 and earlyer euro import will have stiffer botom end and 185 hp to start with instead of 167 and 3.27 gear instead of 3.07. otherwise, all the same

Are race parts readily available? Coilovers, sway bars, urethane bushings, camber plates, big brake kits, rollover cage, oil cooler kits, ... or everything has to be custom-made? If they are available, are the prices reasonable (comparable to BMW)?

Coilovers, forget about it, there is no space between tire and the inner part of the car (unless you have custom suspension widened 2 inch) but it seemed to work well with the springs on the arms anyway. Camberplates http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RDMT...012QQitemZ220184856072QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
larger brakes from E320, 400, 500 and 600 are bolt on to the 16v hubs. Oil cooler is there from factory on a 16v with an oil thermostat integrated. Roll cage might need to be custom but i think there was this company in australia making half cages (but shipping kills) and Jeremie in Laval is in the process of makinf carbon fiber hoods (save 30 pounds)

Is the 2.3 prone to over heating? Any known weaknesses in the chassis or suspension component?

Not prone to overheating, just check valve adjustment often not to burn them and timing chain must be changed every 100 000km. the only chassis work needed is to swap the rubber subframe bushings for solid plastic ones to prevent wheel hop. Almost forgot, stock 16v has hydraulic actuated rear shocks and most of the time, this system is not working right and it's quite a crap but if changing suspension anyway, this wont be a problem. Otherwise, chassis is undestroyable and the DTM guys in germany had their cars just above 2000 pounds in race trim with NA engines developing arround 370hp

How is the tranny? Solid? Any shorter differential swap available (from automatic cars maybe)?

the 2.3-16's tranny is the same Getrag as the E30 M3's. It's a bit slow and slugish but undestroyable. From what i've seen of some turbo guys on the REV, they seem to wear some bearings when engine pumps over 400hp but a tranny oil cooler might solve this up to the 6 or 800 hp mark.

Ok I'll stop here for the questions for now. :D

This is just sooo nice :

And considering that the size of the valves is larger than the ones in a S2000 and that the engine is a 2.3, well, 240HP is considered an easy figure to reach with some easy mods. Of course, K-jet injection is the first thing who has to go but seriously, if you're building a track car with stock injection, i'm wondering how much of a track car it is. A Megasquirt EFI is not that expensive or complicated to fit anyway... I'm doing EFI conversion on mine right now

It's indeed an awsome car

this seems to cover most of it !! :bigup:

:drool: im actually going to build one this winter for my self. Just in the planning parts out right now. And have a running thread http://www.benzworld.org/ with allmost the same question as you.

cyhu, des specs sur ton set-up?

C'est vraimment domage que MB ait détuné la 2.3-16 tant que ça pour le marché américain pcke c'est une criss de machine pis sa la du potentiel bin plus que bin d'autres char mais tlm trouve sa poche d'orrigine...avec raison, sa tire à peine plus qu'un cavalier Z24. Les euro ont juste 20 HP de plus, mais c'est comme le jour et la nuit... 240 tant que tu veut pis sa prend pas 10 ans. Pis encore là, les euro ont encore le K-jet pis l'intake tuné pour 4000 rpm... Les gars en europe coupent toute leur intake pis installent l'injection programable pis apparament que c'est mm pas comparable la diférence que sa fait. Faut pas oublier, c'est une tête cosworth avec un bloc oversquare (96mm bore, 80.25mm stroke) pis des valves HUGE mm pour un char de course... ya tout ce qui faut pour faire une bombe, y sagit juste d'enlever les "safety" que MB ont mis pour le vendre comme char de rue pis de l'allumer :)

Forgot about the sway bar and urethane bushes...

for the sway bar, people usualy fit some from a larger model MB.. multiple threads on this subject on the REV.

for the bushes, MB bushes are quite stif and 16v ones are stifer than std 190 bushes. The best way to remove them would be to install arms with tie-rods on both ends (which is realy easy to do with the 5 link rear suspension. for the front, i'm not sure if anything is available other than the camber plate.

pour linstant jen parle pas trop comme je met pas le pied devant avant de vraiment commencer..

Bref 1jz ou 2jz swap pas sur quel je deciderai avec se qui va me rester en stock... On a fais un e30 cette ete et le resulta ete bien donc au tour dun benz cette annee

Mais la je suis occuper a monter un autre ae86 de track donc le benz project en stand by le temps que je finisse le rolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back