Body work and paint going bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchy

Legacy Member
About 6 months ago, maybe less, I got some body work and repainting done to the EL.

My dad decided to take it to someone nearby home so we wouldn't have to go much out of the way to take care of it.

They kept it for a week and did all the body work needed (dents, cracks, accidents, whatever).

Got it back and everything seemed OK, turns out the guy did only EXACTLY what was needed and nothing more, i.e. if there was a scratch at the top of the door, he fixed it and only painted the top of the door and blended it in, like the guy did the very bare minimum with all the work.

I happened to go by some other body shops for other reasons later on and all the painters seemed to comment that the job was absolutely horrible and the fact that there was almost no clearcoat on the car.

Anyways, now that it's winter, I'm noticing that at some point where there were dents in the car (mainly one big one from an accident) there's paint cracking and rust forming in the shape of the dent, i.e. the paint is cracking in a circle outling where the dent used to be. Also, the area where the big dent was isn't flush with the car, the gas cap sticks out and it's just horrible work. The guy even put the emblems back on wrong.

Anyways, what would you guys do in this case. We do plan on going back to the garage and complaining I guess even though it's been like 5-6 months but other than that what would any of you do in this situation. Most of this stuff was not noticeable until winter anways since the paint only started cracking on it's own now.

Thanks!

From the client side its kindof a jip that you get crappy work done, but from the garage side its a never ending "can you do it cheaper" "i don't want to pay too much" excuse train that usually leads to sub-par work being done.

Only go for cheap when you want to sell the car right away.

depends on how much work was done ;\

You really have to shop around alot to find a good shop that is asking a reasonable price... I drive or tow my car all the way to laval to have it worked on.

I feel for ya bro, I had a full repaint this past summer and rust is coming out of the doors everywhere... I payed 2k also!

I work in a body shop. Best way to tell what type of place your dealing with is too look around and see what else the shop is working on. If every car in there is getting a cut rate quick job, chances are that is all they are good at. If he shop does alot of insureance jobs that show a bit better quilaty in there work. the make of cars should not count too much. I have seen some guys get better work done on Mazdas then say BMW. All shop should back up there work for a min of six months to a year. Also look at how the guys prep the sutff for painting. there is alot of stuff to be done to prep the metal before painting to help the paint stic k well and stop the rust. if you see them cutting back on that, you know the job will not turn out well.

So you gotta have some good tips as to where to go, eh? :D

Yeah I have a great shop (small shop, 2 cars in at a time) , I know the two owners and they are close with my other speed shops so they keep things really reasonable and do great work.

They're waiting list is a bit hectic, but I usually get snuck in if there's a no-show or cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back