Auto Body Repair or Auto Mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoYaL FLuSH

Ok, auto body repair or auto mechanics...

What trade do you feel has better job opportunities... in both when you first enter the work force and later on in your career... and please explain why you feel so.

Private company = autobody, because things basically stay the same even though cars evolve, it's still the same sheet metal.

Mechanic if you want to work for a dealership. With cars getting more and more complicated it's harder and harder to be an independent mechanic, as manufacturers are reluctant to provide technical specs to independent companies, they want their customers to come back to the dealership. The future of independent shops is gray to say the least.

Private company = autobody, because things basically stay the same even though cars evolve, it's still the same sheet metal.

Mechanic if you want to work for a dealership. With cars getting more and more complicated it's harder and harder to be an independent mechanic, as manufacturers are reluctant to provide technical specs to independent companies, they want their customers to come back to the dealership. The future of independent shops is gray to say the least.

It also sucks when your an apprentice mechanic in the begining, you usually find yourself out of work during the winter season. (working for a dealer that is)

I say Auto Body work, you'll have work all year round.

i work in a independant shop as a 2nd year apprentice, and we are always full of job, cars from 70's to 2008. we have all the right tools and scanner, machine etc. the garage is established 40 years ago, so thats helps alot. but i got the opportunity (?) to do most everything.

If you're looking at pure stats...
auto service tech:http://imt.emploiquebec.net/mtg/inter/noncache/contenu/asp/mtg122_sommprofs_01.asp?PT4=53&aprof=7321&lang=ANGL&Porte=1&cregn=QC&PT1=4&type=cle&motpro=mechanic&PT2=17&pro=7321&cmpregn=QC&PT3=9
autobody:http://imt.emploiquebec.net/mtg/inter/noncache/contenu/asp/mtg122_sommprofs_01.asp?PT4=53&aprof=7321&lang=ANGL&Porte=1&cregn=QC&PT1=4&type=cle&motpro=mechanic&PT2=17&pro=7321&cmpregn=QC&PT3=9
Scroll to the bottom and you'll see annual income, unemployment, job prospects...

If you look solely at the numbers, then auto service tech comes out on top.

But I know you have a soft spot for bodywork... and afterall statistics are statistics... if you really love bodywork stick with it... cause those with a REAL passion for their job always rise to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back