re-tap on spark plug threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

specialedition

As the title says i need a shop that will do this. The owner before me over tightened the spark plugs causing the head to strip, I either need it re-tapped or helicoiled as long as i dont loose compression. Is there any shop around here that can do this for me? with out removing the head buy somehoe vacuuming the shavings out of my cylinders?
thanks

the problem will be metal particles dropping into the combustion chamber.

good luck finding a place that will do this. call some machine shops, but they will most likely ask you to bring the head in for repair

^ x2 i doubt a shop is going to risk it by trying to vacuum out the shavings in the cylinders.

i know theres a special machine that does this im just gonna call some garages tomorrow to find a specialty shop who does this

can can tire, buy the spark plug tap (2 models american and import)

retap the plug, disconect fuel et fire, crank the engine couple time you will see the tiny tiny very tiny particules fly...

I've done it 3-4 times and I never scrap a cylinder.... just take your time, be gentle and stay straight...

i don;t think any machine shop can do it without taking off the head.
you have to pass a tap and metal gets in the cylinder which is not very good for your cylinder walls.

Refais tes fillais avec beaucoup de graisse, les particules de metal vont rester dans la graisse, un coup tu as fini tu nettoie ca comme il faut, et tu est good to go.

tu aura jamais assé de particule d'alu pour railler ton cylinder, c pas une limaille infime d'alu qui va railler ton cylindre... commence pas a defaire la tete juste pour sa...

vous vous casser le becik pour rien...

personellement je le ferais pas, quand tu fait des filets il reste souvent une bavure qui ne se détache pas, a l'endroit ou ton tap ressort, des fois c'est un morceau quand même gros qui pourrait POTENTIONELLEMENT endomager ton cylindre.

Mais comme Datsun510 dit, si tu veut pas te casser la tête pour ca, et que le char vaut pas la peine essaye le sans enlever la tête. C'est mieux de mettre de la graisse, ca va être plus facile pour refaire tes filets et ca va donner un meilleur résultat !

its being taken care of as we speak, i thought there would be a machine to suck out the shavings but if you do it properly everything should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back