LF: Summer Job as Jockey/Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATR90

Has anyone here worked as a jockey at a car dealer?

I am considering becoming a jockey for the summer at a dealer. What are the requirements? Is there a minimum age and/or minimum driving experience? I will be 18 in August and I got my probationary license in September.

If I applied as a washer, do the same requirements apply as a jockey?

I'm just wondering if dealers usually employ students for the summer with my age and driving experience.

Thanks!

Try, Enterprise car rentals they are always looking ...LoL

Did you mean they are always looking for jockeys? Do they usually hire 17 year olds with just over a year of experience on the road? That's what I'm worried about. I know a few places are looking for jockeys; I've already spoken to many but I just wonder if by time summer rolls around, I'm going to get turned down because they will look at my age and driving experience...

Also, I'm only talking for a summer job. I know a lot of places won't hire for a seasonal period if the job requires training.

dude i'll stop you right there. Dealerships don't need people during the summer they need people in the spring and fall then they can you ass. And as for a washer i wouldn't they get all the shit in the dealership, like bottom of the ladder. And as for a jockey, as long as you don't mind be treated like a slave for the first month go right a head, and for experience i had none was 17 and got a job at bmw as a jockey. most requirements are a liscence (probationary) is okay, and a head on your shoulders. Some dealerships wont insure you though if your under 18 though so ask first. And a washer needs the same requirments as well. OH and make sure you can drive stick.
hope this helps.

I can drive stick so-so but I'll know how perfectly by the summer.

I don't really care if I get treated as a slave; I love driving and getting paid to drive would be awesome!

Does anyone know of any places that would definitely be hiring jockeys for the summer?

so-so is not good enough... well at lexus\toyota they were strict on it! I got a summer job @ my old job again :) weeeeeeeeee god bless being a neighbor of the head of esthetics department :)

like stated before, they hire anyone... i had no experience, but then again, my neighbor hooked me up =\ but they did tell me i needed a licence for 2 years!

so-so is not good enough... well at lexustoyota they were strict on it! I got a summer job @ my old job again :) weeeeeeeeee god bless being a neighbor of the head of esthetics department :)

like stated before, they hire anyone... i had no experience, but then again, my neighbor hooked me up = but they did tell me i needed a licence for 2 years!

Well see there's my problem; experience. I was driving since I was like 7 :)D) but officially, I got my learner's permit in September of 2006 and my probationary September of 2007. I just hope that would be enough.

But to answer my question, they DO hire jockeys just for the summer, right? I mean it's not like they have to train you and they wouldn't bother training someone to work for 3 months...

well they DO have a training and they DO hire for summer time too (extra help when sales are higher) but the training is simple, my training literally lasted me 17 minutes so... it won't matter when u 'actually' started driving (when u were 7) but they need PROOF)

I got the job b4 my full license but I was 3 months shy of the full license... but it's usually more than 3 months... like beginning of april to end of september... during the peak season...

I just got back from Enterprise. They told me they are always looking for more jockeys, especially in the summer. They took my CV and everything was a-ok!

I then asked the rep what kind of experience they are usually looking for and if there is a minimum age. Turns out you have to be 18 years of age to drive a rental car so they would not be able to hire me at 17. I'm just two months too young! :angry:

I'm hoping the car dealers will come through...

Dealers do hire 17 olds... I was hired but something came up and I couldn't take the job. Was at a ford lincoln dealer... got to drive a mustang around the lot and then.. next day I got some trouble with my school and parents didnt let me work cuz of school... anyways... gotta love da mustang!!

Dealers do hire 17 olds... I was hired but something came up and I couldn't take the job. Was at a ford lincoln dealer... got to drive a mustang around the lot and then.. next day I got some trouble with my school and parents didnt let me work cuz of school... anyways... gotta love da mustang!!

That must've looked bad; you get the job one day and the next, you already give the 2-week notice...! Sorry to hear about that.

Thanks for your input, though! I'm glad to hear they do actually hire 17 year olds!

Now all I need to do is buy a car so I can brush up on my shifting...!

lol... you don'T need to work the shifting lol... unless you wanna drive 50 miles an hour around the lot lol... shifting is so simple though... just drive it on first gear around the lot you'll be good lol.

Did you mean they are always looking for jockeys? Do they usually hire 17 year olds with just over a year of experience on the road? That's what I'm worried about. I know a few places are looking for jockeys; I've already spoken to many but I just wonder if by time summer rolls around, I'm going to get turned down because they will look at my age and driving experience...

Also, I'm only talking for a summer job. I know a lot of places won't hire for a seasonal period if the job requires training.

Well, all they care about is that you are in university since they are very stuck up on you becoming a business major. They have positions just for washing and cleaning their cars and then they have manager trainee positions where you deal with the customer and jocky the car from place to place. You must wear a dark colour suit as a manager trainee, it is part of the company's founder Jack Taylor's philosphy. They are great for students, full time during the summer and part time while you go to school.

I think my ideal summer job would be a jockey at a car dealer. You get to drive brand-new cars all day long and get paid for it! Isn't that the best?!

try the nissan dealership on brunswick/st-jean...

if business is still good... apply now for the spring night shift.

Chances are they'll keep you for summer after that.

try the nissan dealership on brunswick/st-jean...

if business is still good... apply now for the spring night shift.

Chances are they'll keep you for summer after that.

I already got a call from Spinelli Nissan. I told them I could only work during the summer so I was told to get back to them in April. I know that they are looking and will be looking for the summer.

My problem here was not whether or not anybody is looking for jockeys. My concern was whether or not they are looking for 17 year olds as jockeys. :D

I already got a call from Spinelli Nissan. I told them I could only work during the summer so I was told to get back to them in April. I know that they are looking and will be looking for the summer.

My problem here was not whether or not anybody is looking for jockeys. My concern was whether or not they are looking for 17 year olds as jockeys. :D

they allready have 4 jockeys and im one of them so i dont think it looks good for you there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back