need transmission help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NisMobile

ok heres the story, i have a 01 maxima with 5 speed manual lsd transmission, the car has 97k on it...recently i feel like my tranny or clutch is going to blow on me.
first of all when the car is cold to shift from 1 to 2nd even 3rd its hard, lets say im in first to shift to 2nd the tranny struggles and its really hard to get a gear, i mean really hard in the frist few shifts from 1st to 2nd, and really hard to remove of gear to put the car in neutral.
in 3rd when its cold driving it around 2-3k rpm the car shakes forward and backwards a bit and even slips sometimes........
and finally the gears go in a lot harder, not any grind but definetely go in a lot harder than before.
when its warm all problems desappear exept the fact that the still gears go in harder than before....
now the cars has been pushed a few times but never abused or raced, its not my first manual tranny so i know how to drive it properly......
ive never had any problems with transmissions so i dont know where to start and i dont want to go to a transmission shop that they tell me its 2000$ to change your lsd tranny.......
any ideas what it could be before i show up to the garage?
thanx

if the gears are hard to shift or won'T come out of gear,the problem is the clutch,not the tranny.When you push the clutch,the tranny come free and the gear are supposed to shift fine.if the clutch does not work properly,let says it does not release the disc(the disc is bent due to heat or something),the tranny will be hard to shift.it's call a `dragging clutch`.
stop the car and the engine.try to shift without the clutch(some gear will be hard to shift,it's normal but when it will be in,it is not suppose to be hard to get out).
First check the clutch cylinder(oil clutch)'level must be good so the cylinder can work properly,if level is good make sure the cylinder works properly by checking how far the rod travel(at the cylinder) when you put the clutch in.if all of that is good.you will have to remove the tranny to check if the clutch(disc and pressure plate) are bent or blue because of heat or slippage.check if the finger on the pressure plate are not broken.
I am 99.9% sure it's a clutch and not a tranny problem.The shop are very fast on changing tranny but half of the time it is not the problem.
without seeing the car it's hard to cure a problem,but check that first(cost less) and if it's all good you will have to check further.
hope it help.
good luck

if the gears are hard to shift or won'T come out of gear,the problem is the clutch,not the tranny.When you push the clutch,the tranny come free and the gear are supposed to shift fine.if the clutch does not work properly,let says it does not release the disc(the disc is bent due to heat or something),the tranny will be hard to shift.it's call a `dragging clutch`.
stop the car and the engine.try to shift without the clutch(some gear will be hard to shift,it's normal but when it will be in,it is not suppose to be hard to get out).
First check the clutch cylinder(oil clutch)'level must be good so the cylinder can work properly,if level is good make sure the cylinder works properly by checking how far the rod travel(at the cylinder) when you put the clutch in.if all of that is good.you will have to remove the tranny to check if the clutch(disc and pressure plate) are bent or blue because of heat or slippage.check if the finger on the pressure plate are not broken.
I am 99.9% sure it's a clutch and not a tranny problem.The shop are very fast on changing tranny but half of the time it is not the problem.
without seeing the car it's hard to cure a problem,but check that first(cost less) and if it's all good you will have to check further.
hope it help.
good luck

allright ill check it out....you do you have a garage, i read that thats what you do?
thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back