Supersets

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDLINE_76

My question is simple, would someone who is looking to bulk even consider supersets?

Now i know this whole notion can branch off in all kinds of directions so let's keep it simple. I'm thinking it would not be such a good idea since you will increase your heart rate and ultimately burn more calories, more fat and potentially muscle tissue. It's just that i sometimes feel like i'm not being proactive when i simply do all my exercises one after the other with about a minute/minute and a half break in between...

I'm not only talking about supersetting exercises for the same muscle group by the way.

I wouldn't consider doing a lot of supersets if your objective is primarily power or strength. All they do is save you time and build more intensity in your muscles. Problem tho is, even if you do antagonistic muscle groups, you won't be able to lift as much as you would normally would. That's because of fatigue and lactic acid you will inevitably have to face.

so yeah I would say supersets are more shaping/bodybuilding exercises than bulking.

I don't think the heartbeat/calories thing really matters tho ... :D

my 0.02 cents!

^ ok it looks like we're on the same page

i'm usually able to get in and out of the gym in a good amount of time without supersets.

I asked this question a while ago to the McGill Track & Field coach + trainer, and he basically said that it's a beneficial thing to do. He usually recommends supersets to athletes, as it requires less time in the gym, and for university athletes, time is something they don't always have.

He didn't have anything negative to say about them, as long as you superset properly.

Last edited:
^ if that's the case then what's the best way to incorporate them "properly"???
Remember that i'm looking for mass...

If your going for mass dont do super sets. It will just fatigue your body. For powerlifting/mass building you should take 1.30 min - 2m rest inbetween sets so you can almost recover so you can push more. Also do sets like 8-6-6 or 8-6-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back