Marathon de MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok laissez faire, j'ai répondu a ma propre question.... la réponse c'est oui!
Le site explique tout

What's the distance for a marathon? 40km? That's crazy.

I'm trying to see if I can even do 10km at a steady pace; doing 40km is just unbelievable. I wouldn't know the effort it wold take until I started running.

For a marathon, do you guys really just run non-stop? And at what pace? I couldn't imagine someone going 10km/h for 4 hours.

Good luck gentlemen.

Wow, that really amazes me. From the other running thread, I believe NahoY posted a link to the 10km "Run for Canada," and I thought it would be fun for me to sign up for it. I haven't officially registered for it, but I am "training" for it.

Mind you, I only started going on run/jogs last month, and the most I did (until this morning) was 6km. I used to be a basketball player, so any running for "long" distances (6km is already long for me), is just something I never thought of doing. I just did 9.2km in 50 mins (no where near you guys), but I was so happy when I got home, cause now I actually feel confident to run for the 10km.

I "see" how much prep it takes for athletes to train for a marathon, even a demi-marathon, as I have a few friends/classmates who do them. I just never realized how strenuous it was on the body to do that.

Good luck to you guys with your training. You must be all in awesome shape.

I know three guys training for a marathon right now and they said that from what they have heard, you feel like a million bucks when you finish it and it's a high! It's definitely something that is a significant accomplishment that a select few have attempted to even succeed at.

I would love to try it, but I don't have the time or patience to train for something like that!

BTW, what's a good shoe to run in? I'm wearing Nike FREE 7.0, but they're meant to strengthen your feet, and not necessarily cushion them. I love them so far though; I have not gotten sore from them, unlike a pair of Reeboks I had before (I would occasionally get shin-splints :( ). I don't really want to spend more money, but if it helps in the long run, I will.

BTW, what's a good shoe to run in? I'm wearing Nike FREE 7.0, but they're meant to strengthen your feet, and not necessarily cushion them. I love them so far though; I have not gotten sore from them, unlike a pair of Reeboks I had before (I would occasionally get shin-splints :( ). I don't really want to spend more money, but if it helps in the long run, I will.

If you are really planning on running often, getting the right pair of shoes essential. I would suggest for you to go to a specialized shop, like Boutique Courir where they can look at you run and suggest the right type of shoe for you.

I was having pretty bad knee pain and found out it have pretty bad pronation in my feet (ankles tend to go inwards when I step) ... Since I bought shoes that correct this (Brooks Beast) I have no pain at all! Best 150$ ever spent. The only injury I get when I run is caused by my toe nails...

By the way, 42km is indeed crazy... but like Trendster said, the feeling of accomplishment must be insane!! I would really like to try one... but the training is just so time consuming. I'll stick to the 10 Km HBC run and maybe a half-marathon in July :D

Thanks for the info on shoes. I'll stop by one of those shops and ask.

I'm planning to enter at least one run each month until it gets too cold. I signed up for the HBC, and also for the 5km for Breast Cancer in October. Now I just gotta fill in the other months. thinking of doing the Mount-Royal 5k run in Aug, or the 10k in Ile-Bizard.

I'm not training to actually compete in the race, but rather to set goals for myself. I used to play basketball, and ever since I stopped, I would get into periods of inactivity, which also lead to bad eating habits. Having a run each month would help me just keep track of my overall fitness.

Also, I've been asked to play in the PBAM again in the winter, so this will keep me in shape until I play ball again. *tu*

Is it normal for some people to do what I do, and register just to simply run in them, and not necessarily "race"? Cause I don't want to end up last place in everything, while everyone has finished 15 mins before me.... haha.

J'avais commencé à m'entraîner pour faire un marathon, c'est très difficle et ça prend au moins 3-4 mois de préparation pour pouvoir le compléter...

L'affaire, c'est que ca te prend énormément de ton temps car c'est 4-5 courses par semaine et après 2 mois, c'est minimum 6 km et le dimanche 15-20 km en augmentant graduellement.

J'étais rendu à faire 10km en 54', ce qui est un pace respectable si je le tiens pendant 42 km. À ce qu'il parait, les athlètes frappent le ''MUR'' à environ 35km, il n'y a plus d'énergie dans le corps à part ton gras, quand ton corps décide d'aller chercher son énergie direct dans le gras, il parait que c'est un ''HIGH'' incroyable qui te permet justement de pouvoir terminer ta course.

Thanks for the info on shoes. I'll stop by one of those shops and ask.

I'm planning to enter at least one run each month until it gets too cold. I signed up for the HBC, and also for the 5km for Breast Cancer in October. Now I just gotta fill in the other months. thinking of doing the Mount-Royal 5k run in Aug, or the 10k in Ile-Bizard.

I'm not training to actually compete in the race, but rather to set goals for myself. I used to play basketball, and ever since I stopped, I would get into periods of inactivity, which also lead to bad eating habits. Having a run each month would help me just keep track of my overall fitness.

Also, I've been asked to play in the PBAM again in the winter, so this will keep me in shape until I play ball again. *tu*

Is it normal for some people to do what I do, and register just to simply run in them, and not necessarily "race"? Cause I don't want to end up last place in everything, while everyone has finished 15 mins before me.... haha.

So, how did you do in the race? :bigup:

http://sportstats.ca/display-results.php?lang=eng&racecode=43036

I know you weren't asking me but I got a new PB with 49.22!
How'd everyone else do?

Nice! Congrats!:bigup: I can't find your time in the HBC Run For Canada stats though.

As for myself, I also ran my personal best 46.46!

Finished at 48:38, 171st overall, 33rd of 67 in my category (Men 20-29 years old). I'm sure I could have shaved a minute off if it wasn't for my n000bness, but it was a great experience overall.

I went to the bathroom 5 mins before the race, and when I came back, everyone already lined up. It took 45 secs for me to actually start jogging, and then I had to dodge a whole bunch of people before being able to go at a good pace. Also, I thought the chip was supposed to start timing me from when I pass the Start line, but when I ran the Finish, it was at 48 mins (time including my bad start), whereas my watch told me I did it in 47 and something.

Nonetheless, it was my first official run, so I don't have a "Personal Best" to beat; I just had the goal of finishing it in under 50 mins.

Edit: I just checked your link, and my chip time was 47:42.1!! Woop woop!! Also, I plan on signing up for the Half-Marathon in Sept; one day, maybe I'll CONSIDER a full marathon... hahaha.

Finished at 48:38, 171st overall, 33rd of 67 in my category (Men 20-29 years old). I'm sure I could have shaved a minute off if it wasn't for my n000bness, but it was a great experience overall.

I went to the bathroom 5 mins before the race, and when I came back, everyone already lined up. It took 45 secs for me to actually start jogging, and then I had to dodge a whole bunch of people before being able to go at a good pace. Also, I thought the chip was supposed to start timing me from when I pass the Start line, but when I ran the Finish, it was at 48 mins (time including my bad start), whereas my watch told me I did it in 47 and something.

Nonetheless, it was my first official run, so I don't have a "Personal Best" to beat; I just had the goal of finishing it in under 50 mins.

Edit: I just checked your link, and my chip time was 47:42.1!! Woop woop!! Also, I plan on signing up for the Half-Marathon in Sept; one day, maybe I'll CONSIDER a full marathon... hahaha.

Congrats man! That's a great time considering the fact that you've started running fairly recently! You're in the first half of your group! And yeah the chip does start counting when you pass the starting line but the time you saw at the end of your race was the full time from when they start the race.

I'm signing up for another 10k on the 2nd of August in Ste-Anne de Bellevue.

Btw, the feeling is pretty cool once you cross the line with hoards of people cheering :bigup:à

Oh another thing, isn't crazy how you cross the race leaders when you haven't even crossed the halfway mark... 31min.... they are insane

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I really do appreciate it. :D The next run I was looking to was either that Ste-Anne one (or was it Ile-Bizard?), though it's somewhat far from where I live, or a Mount-Royal 5-Miler the week after. I don't know if I just want to try out another 10k, or attempt a shorter, cross-country run. I heard it's really a world of difference, so I want to go and test it out within the next few weeks.

And yeah, having people cheer you on towards the finishline is great; really ups the "accomplishment" factor. When I saw the race leaders on the way back while I was barely at the 4km mark, I kinda thought I should give up... hahaha. Nah, I was just amazed at how they can do that. And these dudes are in their 30s; something I would love to accomplish as I get older.

Nice, well if ever you do take part in the Ste-Anne de Bellevue run (which should be pretty nice considering there's a part that's in the Morgan arboretum) gimme a sign.

I want to try and run in the 45's... and maybe better if I can train enough until then. After that, it's the Montreal half-marathon!

Have you guys considered joining the Boreal running club? They're hosting the StAnne race... It's a great way to train... We'll be running on Mont Royal tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back