'89 De Ville...salon funéraire or ultimate sleeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supernaut

Legacy Member
Heheh :D

I'm 17 and looking for a first car...I had my sights set on a Duster 340 but my parents could eventually give me their '89 Caddy De Ville...now, and I'm serious, could it be worth it to spice this up a bit? #1 what I'm looking for is originality, and I don't want a Civic or another compact (no offense to those who like these cars, it's just a personal taste). I'm not looking for a bling-bling pimpmobile either, but I think that with an LT1 under the hood (I could probably get an easy deal) and minor exterior work it really could eat some rice ;) Gas and insurance would be a pain, of course, but I can live with that.

Now, are you guys gonna fall over laughing when I roll over in that boat, and do you think it should better be left to septuagenaries, or would it be a worthy project?

Really curious- what do you think, honestly? :D

sorry to rain on your sunshine..but Caddy's weight ALOT..so even with a LT1 you would still be dragging alot of weight around...not don't laugh but what you could do is buy a chevette and shoehorn a LT1 in there..can you say power to weight ratio!!!!

bTW insurance on a 89 Caddy would be about a grand a year..so almost a 1/4 of your car's value...stay away from it...gas consuption would be worse than most new full size trucks..

not don't laugh but what you could do is buy a chevette and shoehorn a LT1 in there..can you say power to weight ratio!!!!

That would be nice too ;)

Thanks for the tip- I didn't know insurance would be that much...

I'll check around some more. Not sure if that Duster is still available, it was really nice.

i have to agree with colt_gt...just too much weight. Even with a LT1 you'll be running 16s if not higher at the 1/4 mile. The point of changing the engine is to compete with other moded cars. I say sell the car and buy a sleeper. I have an S-10 with a corvette engine...maybe not the ultimate sleeper but still a sleeper. Chevettes are kicking some ass...you'll probably get one for 500$ and you could fit a small block inside. That would be a sweet ride

I vote for the s-10 with a vette engine..or if mopar are you thing...Mopar sell a enging mount kit for the viper V10 into a Dodge Dakota...

I like Dusters...if you wanted to go a bit cheaper and fwd..dodge shadow dusters (with turbo) can be made pretty quick..

If you can find and old duster...make it into a Duster Deamon...by swaping a hemi..that could be a bit sleeper...or buy a mustang LX (4cyl) and put a 5.0 in it...or to keep with the ford them..get and old ranger 86-89 and put a 5.0 in it...

so many opions..bTW what is your budget???

Last edited:
you could do many beautiful things with a pickup. They sell alot of s*it for them. Plus the engine room is sweet...you could fit a big block.

Scrubs got a ponit yuo can pick up a decent big block for about two grand, if you shop well...I know of a yes I know what you're going to say but its true...an Ls6 for sale the guy wnats twentyfive hundred

big cars are cool!

OK, the S10 is lighter than I thought...it does have the weight/power ratio advantage, roughly 4.5 kg/HP vs 5.15 considering a stock 300 HP LT1. I'm not sure I want a pickup though...

Shoehorning a V-10? Well, for the price I could get one of those monster 528 Hemis instead...:D I'm on a roughly $5000 budget, that should double by next fall, I'm not really hurrying to buy a car as I probably won't have a lot of free time this summer...just scouting out options. Heck I don't have my regular license yet.

Here's an interesting Chevette project...
http://w3.one.net/~watscarb/4-3LV-6vet.htm
He does mention that there was no room for a 305 though.

BTW Scrub, while I agree the DeVille is a cow it doesn't weigh that much compared to other models- around 1550 kg, which AFAIK is less than, say, a new Camaro... Weight/power isn't everything but I think it would be able to do better than 16's, the stock does it in around 17 with 155 HP. Northstar Sevilles easily do 15's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back