Wet sand procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUBBMAN

Gona be wet sanding and polishing my car in the upcoming week, and i was wondering if anyone could help me, give some tips, give me a list of things i'll need, and a procedure of how it is done. I've already polished and buffed cars at previous jobs but i've never done such a job. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Wet sanding is very tricky.

Fun, frustrating and requires lots but lots of patience.
If you have no experience then I strongly suggest to either borrow or buy a paint meter. Paint meter can go from $500 up to XXXX.XX$ It will tell you how much you have to play with. Otherwise you can easy get to the base coat.

For wet sanding:

- 1500 gritt
- 2000 gritt
- bucket of water
- squeegee
- spray bottle with water
- paint meter optional

then you'll need to do a good compound. Rotary is a must.
Try first a 12x12 pannel .. I'd do the trunk just in case you give up you won't see the unfinished pannels.

good luck!

only buy megs unigrit. i had problems with 3M sand paper.
dont use old sandpaper.

I like to let my paper sit in water with a bit of car shampoo for a night before using it.

my process.
1)alcool wipedown on area + clay
2)2000grit pass with lube
3)finish with 3000 with lube
4)1Z intensiv pasta
5) #83 megs
6)#80

ask your bodyshop how much clear they put on the body and ask how much sanding you can actually do. I've seen cars newly painted and people passing 2000 grit very lightly and burning the paint cause te bodyhop went cheap on the clear.

Take your time preping your car. Tape moldings, plastics and rubbers. Cover the plastic cover for the whipers. You'll save so much time and head aches when it comes to cleaning.

Oh yea, give youself about 1inch tolerence from the edge while wet sanding. Taking out sanding marks from edges can be annoying and risk burning the paint.
If its a black car, take your time cause if your not consistent with the sanding, it'll show a lot more the other colors.

Make sure your car is clean at 100% and also your work area. Make sure theres no sand or dirt on the floors and your tools. All you need is to pick up a tiny rock to destroy your work.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back