carbon fiber hood faded... how to get it back shining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w00ted

Hi there,

I got a carbon fiber hood on my typeR and its all faded! I got it buffed and came back like new but faded back after like a week.

I can see the squelet of the hood look like its the heat that did the fading...

Its a old hood but I was wondering what I could do to make it shine back!!

My guess is a wet sand with 3000 grain paper then reclear the hood...

anyone have an idea?

thx a lot!

If there is a laquer on it, I guess it can be treaetd like a car paint.

Same procedures would apply.

But detailer's opinion would be better than mine.

a pic would help. but it sounds like clearcoat failure.
what do you mean by faded? spot faded or all around?
what was used to buff your hood??

Sounds like they use a glaze.
You washed it off after a few car washes.

Is it a greenish look?
Or just hazy?
CF needs a clear coat and needs to be maintained more than any painted metal surface. So waxed once a month or sealed twice a year minimum.

If it is greenish / yellowish color, then it is epoxy and will stay this color for life. Epoxy is not UV resistant. Polyurethane is and will never turn yellow.

the faded is white!

and its only spots not the complete hood. looks like only part of the hood that heated a lot when the engin is realy hot that faded...

the 1st time I got it buffed it turned really well. I remember he used 2-3 differents color buffing products...

but the faded spots came back about a week later...

cfhood001.jpg

cfhood004.jpg

Looks like a clear reaction.

Got a question for you. If you pass your hand.. flat to the hood, do you feel the affected area flat to the hood or you can actually feel a difference in level?

I'd wet sanded with 2000 grit or higher, then a compound.
Problem is that it may come back since it could be a cheap clear that reacts with heat.

Looks like a clear reaction.

Got a question for you. If you pass your hand.. flat to the hood, do you feel the affected area flat to the hood or you can actually feel a difference in level?

I'd wet sanded with 2000 grit or higher, then a compound.
Problem is that it may come back since it could be a cheap clear that reacts with heat.

it look even... no difference level...

does a wetsand + new clear (better quality...) should fix that problem?

like i said it sounds and looks like clearcoat failure.
from what i remember carbon fiber hoods (high end) have little to no clear or lacquer ( i guess to save weight).

try 3000grit and then polish. avoid polish with fillers or glazes.

to save weight?

I guess it's better for the driver to go on a diet than save 2-3lbs on clear coat.

It's funny when you see these people doing some heavy mods to their cars to lose weight.. and themselves they are 220lbs and more.

to save weight?

I guess it's better for the driver to go on a diet than save 2-3lbs on clear coat.

It's funny when you see these people doing some heavy mods to their cars to lose weight.. and themselves they are 220lbs and more.

ahah I dont have that problem im 155lbs out of the pool :bigup:

alright ill try a wetsand + a good quality clear coat... ill update results after ;)

thx a lot for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back