Leather cleaner and protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philio

What do you guys recommend? Something I can pic up at a store and not have to order online.

Also, a product to clean the dash etc without leaving a glossy finish.

thanks!

Hey Phil

a friend of mine uses the Meguiars cleaner and conditioner. I have never tried it but his car looks good, he has a black leather.

I personally use Lexol for normal maintenance but for the heavy jobs (once a year) I'll use leather master which is about $80.00 for the kit. $$$$$

For the interior.. you have 303 Aerospace that will give you a semi-gloss finish.

This is the 303 in action:
interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

but I have switched for 1Z Cokpit cleaner. Gives a perfectly matte finish, like new, and has a better cleaning agents.
DSC_0472.jpg

edit:
1 more pic of 1Z
interiordash.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any products that can make your dash more shiny without that greasy-to-the-touch feeling?

Are there any products that can make your dash more shiny without that greasy-to-the-touch feeling?

not that I know. that greasy to the touch feeling is actually silicone what you feel.

Silicone will actually dry your vinyl, plastic , rubber and make it crack if you stop using it.

L'idée d'un dash c'est d'être le moins shiny possible. Tu veux la garder propre mais pas shiny.

L'idée d'un dash c'est d'être le moins shiny possible. Tu veux la garder propre mais pas shiny.

I don't want it to shine too much; I hate it when it reflects onto your windshield! It would just be nice to find something that would make the black look a little more sharp and not so dull... :dunno:

Like Alex said. 303 Protectant can be found in any Canadian Tire. I bought a bottle and it gives just a little touch of ''new'' to plastics and trims. Apply 303 on the dash and wipe it with a damp cloth.

I would suggest trying RaggTopp leather cleaner and protectant. Its non-oily, non-residue, non-tacky formula that safely cleans perspiration and oil from leather.

http://raggtopp.com/

They sell it at Evo Motorsports 514-733-4092.

hope this helps you out!

I would suggest trying RaggTopp leather cleaner and protectant. Its non-oily, non-residue, non-tacky formula that safely cleans perspiration and oil from leather.

http://raggtopp.com/

They sell it at Evo Motorsports 514-733-4092.

hope this helps you out!

I would strongly disagree, as I read on DetailersDomain and some other sources. RaggTopp is for tough leather and would not be best suited for colored interior (like mine : red) as it's agent MAY be too strong for the dye, although it seems it doesn't contain solvents. I wouldn't see any reason why someone should use such products, made for convertible tops, to protect supple leather interiors when there are products made specifically for that purpose. I know hat RaggTopp now position their product as a product that can "ALSO" do interiors, but the product haven't changed...

But that's just me. Each products have their own usage.

I would strongly disagree, as I read on DetailersDomain and some other sources. RaggTopp is for tough leather and would not be best suited for colored interior (like mine : red) as it's agent MAY be too strong for the dye, although it seems it doesn't contain solvents. I wouldn't see any reason why someone should use such products, made for convertible tops, to protect supple leather interiors when there are products made specifically for that purpose. I know hat RaggTopp now position their product as a product that can "ALSO" do interiors, but the product haven't changed...

But that's just me. Each products have their own usage.

Your obviously not familiar with RaggTopp products and i think your confusing this with the convertable top product. You say tough leather ? Where did you hear that ?

RaggTopp Interior Leather Cleaner is made for cleaning fine leather seats on convertable cars. So its just as good for a non convertable car. Its a gentle cleaner and in no way will harm seats!

check the site again before saying things that are not true.

There's actually different types of leather.

You'll notice that type A and P are very common for the auto industry.

Meaning: Some leather will have some dye, like boxsterboy said, his red leather seats have a red dye. If you use a strong cleaner it will remove the dye on the leather.

Your obviously not familiar with RaggTopp products and i think your confusing this with the convertable top product. You say tough leather ? Where did you hear that ?

RaggTopp Interior Leather Cleaner is made for cleaning fine leather seats on convertable cars. So its just as good for a non convertable car. Its a gentle cleaner and in no way will harm seats!

check the site again before saying things that are not true.

Why are you saying I'm not familiar? Was using RaggTopp on my Boxster's convertible top, for 2 years. I recently purchased it again for protecting my M3's convertible top. Also use the Vinyl cleaner on my spa. I know their products, thanks. Enough to say (repeat) that their formula for leather cleaning has not changed in years, YET, they now position their product as "good for interior". RaggTopp is awesome on convertible tops, but sincerly, I wouldn't see why I would use RaggTopp products for something specilized like supple leather when you have companies selling awesome proven products DEDICATED to this, like Leatherique and Lexol. I actually use both and Leatherique is one of the most awesome and impressive products I have every used, the before and after results are simply astonishing.

Why are you saying I'm not familiar? Was using RaggTopp on my Boxster's convertible top, for 2 years. I recently purchased it again for protecting my M3's convertible top. Also use the Vinyl cleaner on my spa. I know their products, thanks. Enough to say (repeat) that their formula for leather cleaning has not changed in years, YET, they now position their product as "good for interior". RaggTopp is awesome on convertible tops, but sincerly, I wouldn't see why I would use RaggTopp products for something specilized like supple leather when you have companies selling awesome proven products DEDICATED to this, like Leatherique and Lexol. I actually use both and Leatherique is one of the most awesome and impressive products I have every used, the before and after results are simply astonishing.
Again the product i am referring to is their interior leather seat cleaner & protectant. Not the convertable top cleaner, not the same product.

I would strongly disagree, as I read on DetailersDomain and some other sources. RaggTopp is for tough leather and would not be best suited for colored interior (like mine : red) as it's agent MAY be too strong for the dye, although it seems it doesn't contain solvents.

Your just going on hear say. You never tried it, how can you say its for tuff leather? what kind of car interiors have tuff leather?

I wouldn't see any reason why someone should use such products, made for convertible tops, to protect supple leather interiors when there are products made specifically for that purpose. I know hat RaggTopp now position their product as a product that can "ALSO" do interiors, but the product haven't changed...

Your wrong, the formula in the leather cleaner is not at all the same as for convertable tops. The convertable top cleaners are for Vinyl & Fabric.

You just said it above that its the same product!? Its not an ALSO can do, it is for interior seats!

Anyhow im not inventing anything its all there on the website and written on the bottles!

Last edited:
Guys... just to clear things up.. and give you some facts on different types of leather

Aniline: Cleaning Code (A)

These leathers are coloured with transparent dye stuff. This means that you are able to see the actual surface grain and markings. It is as if you are looking through a coloured lens. These leathers have very little or no protective treatments applied to them. Some Aniline leathers are treated with a Wax or Oil finish to provide protection creating a "Pull-Up" effect. These leathers require regular maintenance . The method in which the leather is made varies from tannery to tannery.

Ways to identify Aniline:

For care and maintenance purposes we need to know if the surface has been brushed (has a texture like velvet) or not. This is the point at which people have difficulty distinguishing Nubuck from Aniline. There are several ways you can identify an Aniline leather.

1. Lightly scratch the surface to see if it leaves a lighter colour scratch mark. If it scratches to a lighter colour, it is Aniline. This is not the only test to do because some Nubucks will do this also.

2. Wet your finger and lightly rub it into the leather to see if it turns a darker shade. It should darken, lightly, but dry invisibly.

Protected or Pigmented: Cleaning Code (P)

These leathers have combined the best aspects of a natural product (leather) and have utilized tannery technology to create a product that is more uniform in appearance and colour (due to the application of pigments to the surface). It then has a finish applied to the surface that makes the leather more resistant to the effects of heavy use. The pigments and finish applied to the leather do affect the soft hand somewhat. The more finish that is applied the less soft the leather. Protected leathers are the most common leathers in Canada and make up a large majority of the market.

Ways to Identify Protected:

1. Lightly scratch the surface to see if it leaves a lighter colour scratch mark. If it does not scratch to a lighter colour (this means the colour remains the same), then it is a Protected leather.

2. Use Soft Cleaner and clean the leather. The cleaner should stay on top of the finish and should not darken the leather.

3. The surface should have some sheen level to it. It is like looking at wood that has a lacquer finish compared to a wipe-on oil treatment.

thanks CelicaGTS for the info on the leather types!

Ohh and just to point out to BoxsterBoy about how good RaggTopp interior leather cleaner is, this product is private branded for Ferrari of Italy ! thats right. So if it is good for them then its certainly good for all of us!

try it you will be amazed at how good this product cleans and protects your seats.

In fact i am meeting with a Top Detailer in Toronto next week who uses this on all his customers cars.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back