Question about swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMiranda

Alright ... so, here's my issue, I'm a runner but I wanted to start doing some weight training so last week I did some arm weights and situps/side crunches with a weight.

This has only happened once before, but I seem to get some form of edema/swelling in my abdomen when I do abdominal exercises. It only happens when I do situps/side crunches …and it takes a few days to set in…

Basically it looks like I have a tire around my waste, and it's very jiggly. Like, if I flick the swollen areas with my fingers they really jiggle and are very "liquidy." The swelling is only ever below my belly button, nowhere else.

I asked my pharmacist last night because it was worrying me a bit, and she said it could be a lack of electrolytes so I bought this powder stuff to have before I workout … but I don't know … I'm on day 2 of this "swelling" now …

Has anyone ever heard of this?? How do I stop it from happening? I want to work my abdomen but I don't want to endure 3-4 days of a watery swollen stomach afterwards!

Oh, and should I run when my stomach is like this? Will it make it worse??

Gas
Swallowed air
Pregnancy
Obesity
Constipation
Chronic constipation (type of Constipation)
Poor [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]muscle [COLOR=blue! important]tone[/color][/color][/color] (see Muscle weakness)
Poor muscle tone after childbirth
Lactose intolerance
Food allergies
Food intolerances
Pregnancy
Hernia
Malabsorption
Irritable bowel syndrome
Colonic bacterial fermentation

Intestinal motility disorders
Gas entrapment syndromes
Splenic flexure
Hepatic flexure
Premenstrual syndrome
Pancreatic disease
Acute pancreatitis
Appendicitis

Biliary disease
Short bowel syndrome
Peptic ulcer
Ascites - see also causes of ascites
Malignant ascites

Intestinal obstruction - causing gas or fluid buildup; see causes of intestinal obstruction
Colon cancer
Diverticulitis
Diverticulosis
Ulcerative colitis
Pseudopsiesis
Liver conditions
Cirrhosis of the liver

Certain heart conditions:
Abdominal mass - see also causes of abdominal mass

Certain types of tumors or [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]cancers[/color][/color]:
Fibroids
Organomegaly
Ovarian cystadenoma
Lymphoma
Perforated viscus

Some causes of abdominal distention of infants or children include:

Actually, you should.

Unless someone is a doctor here, Riffo's answer is just as good as any other. You can't really trust it... Some people may have the same thing as you, but don't waste time asking about it here -- Go see a doctor asap.

Actually, you should.

Unless someone is a doctor here, Riffo's answer is just as good as any other. You can't really trust it... Some people may have the same thing as you, but don't waste time asking about it here -- Go see a doctor asap.

Point taken - just wanted to see if anyone had similar symptoms or had experienced the same thing!

So you see a doctor yet? Are you gonna live?

Thanks for the concern ... :p

No doctor and the swelling is gone ... sooo ... I'm hydrating like mad and taking in more electrolytes .... I'll give it a week or so and try the exercises again and if the swelling happens again then I'll see a doctor.

Don't worry, it was more curiosity than anything. :p

And since you haven't seen the doctor or found out for sure what it was... Disapointment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back