Buffing Advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDLINE_76

I'm in need of some advice for buffing some scratches off a 2003 BMW 320i.

My girlfriend accidentally clipped a fence which was coated with plastic. I'm sure you guys have seen this before. For the record, she's not one of those typical careless female drivers haha

I know the pics are not too helpful but I'm asking you to imagine the scuff mark this would create. You can also see that some paint flaked near the edge of this rear fender.

Bottom line, I need to know the best way to buff the scuff marks. They're not light enough to simply rub off with your fingers. I own a small orbital buffer (8" i think) however I have never used it because I am afraid of what my lack of experience will yield. Furthermore, I could use an opinion on the paint that's flaking. Should the fender be repainted to avoid rust??

Thanks in advance,

Pics:

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

I would suggest you bring it to a garage to get it fixed.
it will cost you maybe 300$ and peace of mind.

Is the paint gone???

If yes, the only way to repair this is to repaint. If their is some primer left, the panel will not rust. If it scratch to the metal. You'll have to touch up the panel to avoid the rust.

If not, this mean the paint is not touch and you can buff out the scratch or maybe it only plastic residue from the fense.

My recommendation, find a good detailer (they are plenty on this forum) and ask him to inspect the scratch. If you need a buff only, it might cost you 50$ for the panel. A respray can cost between 250-500$.

If you look closely at the pic, there is paint that scrapped off the edge of the fender. This is right down to the metal.

I cleaned it up today and it looks like it needs to be re-painted. The scuff marks won't budge and I don't think a buffer will change that :(

If you look closely at the pic, there is paint that scrapped off the edge of the fender. This is right down to the metal.

I cleaned it up today and it looks like it needs to be re-painted. The scuff marks won't budge and I don't think a buffer will change that :(

wet sanding will take care of that.. but your fender needs a repaint.

Your camera focused on the tires so I can't really see.. looks like paint is flaking and that could be a sign that this part was repainted before. OEM paint doesn't flake just for the fun of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back