Avoid Infections at the Gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorex

High school, college, and pro athletes in sports including wrestling and baseball have come down with staph infections in recent years, in some cases MRSA, the potentially deadly strain that is immune to antibiotics. It's not always clear where these and other infections originate, but athletes are at risk because they tend to get nicks and cuts, and also to share equipment and towels.

However, you can take some common-sense steps to protect yourself at the gym:

* Make sure the equipment is clean. Gyms are supposed to regularly clean off the equipment, but you should take your own precautions.

* Sharing is not always best. Don't use someone else's towel. In some cases, you may also get more peace of mind by purchasing your own basic equipment, like yoga mats.

* Shower right after you exercise. Don't wait around in your sweaty clothes if you've been using common equipment or participating in a contact sport. Don't use a communal bar of soap, either.

* Wear flip-flops or shower shoes when showering. While staph gets the headlines, the athlete's foot is still a pain. Protect yourself by keeping your feet off the communal shower floor.

* Think twice about the sauna or the whirlpool if you have a cut, scrape, or bad bruise. A couple of microbes thrive in hot water. If you do use a hot tub, shower afterwards.

* Don't ignore symptoms. Whether or not you've worked out lately, pay attention to a scratch, bruise, or cut that becomes red, hot, or tender.

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/How-to-Avoid-Infections-at-the-Gym-71933.aspx

En 8 ans je ne crois pas avoir été infecté de quoique ce soit au gym, mais à ma première année j'ai vu un black habillé en "yo" (lire: trop de vêtements pour le gym) et il avait laissé une flaque de sueur sur son équipement... mettons que ca m'a allumé. Je traîne toujours 2 serviettes avec moi et je ne prends jamais de douche ensuite (je vais direct chez moi me laver).

tu emmènes (les germes) avec toi dans l'auto. idéalement c'est mieux se laver + se changer sur place.

Tu pognes les germes de tous ceux qui sont passés avant.

Le mieux c'est de jamais se ramasser nu pieds ou à poil dans les vestiaires publics et de se laver les mains immédiatement aprèes avoir touché à de l'équipement

Tu pognes les germes de tous ceux qui sont passés avant.

Le mieux c'est de jamais se ramasser nu pieds ou à poil dans les vestiaires publics et de se laver les mains immédiatement aprèes avoir touché à de l'équipement

too bad I completely remove my shoes to squat or deadlift lol

I always do the majority of the above, I can't understand how some people workout for two hours are sweating like pigs and drive home to shower!

I always do the majority of the above, I can't understand how some people workout for two hours are sweating like pigs and drive home to shower!

I can't understand how some people can take a shower where 50 men went before them in the same day.

Oh and make it 35 gay men and 15 straight. Yup, that's about the right count at Nautilus downtown.

wash your hand after training !!!

I can't believe how many people don't even was there hands !!!

That is so true. 2 out of 15 will wash their hands. That is the first thing I do when I get in the lockers...Most of the time the water turns greyish...

I would add never touch yourself in the face while training...

another stupid thing would be that a lot of people put their towel on the bench to prevent the sweat to get on it, but they wipe their face with the same towel right after....WRONG!

I think microbes and germs create antibodies. A good defense comes from a strong offense!

So you should lick all gym equipment prior to use.

If you're really that concerned, you can go to the olympic stadium... There they have bottles of antibacterial spray that you can use to clean the equipment. Some people actually clean them before and after use. On top of putting their towel on the equipment.

Seriously dude... I mean... I'm all for disease control and shit... But come on...

The only real rule of thumb should be "if you have athletes foot, don't shower at the gym". Or "if you have AIDS, don't bleed on the equipment".

And I think you have way more chances of getting an infection from using a towel. My sweat washes other people's sweat. But your towel hangs on places no body part touches on the equipment, that is where bacterial growth will occur my friend.

"if you have AIDS, don't bleed on the equipment".

2792072698_d7895bc555.jpg

It's disgusting! I wish I could build a home gym soon.

People go to the toilet and go straight to lifting.. WTF

They don't wash their hands after lifting...WTF

The worst are the perverts..... punks masterbatin ...WTF

I've been goign to the gym since this summer and I already caught the cold twice (I was able to take quick action and took pills) before that in 15 years I never had a cold... friggin germs. Now I left a bottle of anti-septic handrub in my car so each time i'm done I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back