I think I've blown my motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk1Miata

Legacy Member
I turned the key and that was it. It didn't fire, and it sounds different when it turns over...like no compression. Any ideas? It's at Carrera Motors now, and I should have the results from the compression test then. What is a reasonable price to pay for a new core?:(

oh man, that sucks...

try rotary engine.ca, they are the ebst. They have prices on their website also.

puma

Well if its already at carrera, he charges about 2400$ for a rebuilt engine (from mazda w/ a 1 year warranty) not installed, you can hunt the scrap yards for an other engine there are other places that could do th work but they are not in the area.

$2400 for a factory rebuilt with warranty seems reasonable, because the rest of the car is absolutly perfect. The only real problem is getting the money. What kind of labour charge is to be expected for the swap? I assume that the clutch should be done as well (because its original)? What I need to know is (other than where I can prostitute myself) how much money am I going to need to find?

As for the price is concerned you can expect a little less 250$ with tax for a cluch at CT (includes pressure plate, disk & throuwout bearing).I would also recomend that you change the Pilot bearing at the same time because it wears at about the same rate as the T/O bearing. And its not fun to drop the tranny because of a 15$ item.

For the labour I never asked him but should not be more than 400$ he charges something like 50$/hours and if he cant do it in 8 hours something is wrong. BTW if you want to have the warranty on the engine, it has to be done by a dealer approved mechanic (like the guy at carrera)

Anyways your better off contacting carrera yourself to get the whole story. Peronally I have never got any work done there so I cant say anything about the quality of his work.

Thanks for the info, I just want to be prepared for the worst...
I have to see if I can squeeze $3000 out of my visa and already large bank loan. Rotary Engines .ca charges 1720 for a rebuilt. Do you think that I would be saving anything after shipping from Calgary? Well, if its an Apex seal, I'll try the ATF trick, but if only one rotor lost compression, I'd think that the other rotor would try to fire. Now I just have to wait for the prognosis from the doctor.

Does that place offer a guarantee for their engines, if you are not planning on getting it ported I say go with the mazda rebuild it will be less trouble if you run into problems (if ever the mazda engine goes within warantee a belive that carera will put the new one in without charging you a penny).

But if you want to get a street port or some type of porting, I dont thing that Carrera can do that for you.

Let me know the diagnostic.

BTW you can post these types of questions on the Club Rx-7 Quebec forum, that way there will be more content on the forum.

All is well in Rotary Land: stuck APEX's on both rotors, Now I've got more compression than before!
Rotary Exp7: What year is your car? I'm going to look at a wrecked '87 tII today, maybe he's got what you need.

Originally posted by UncleBen's
get your compression gauge out !
you'll know then

Conventional compression testers are not very accurate on rotary engines and the digital testers that are used cost more than
1000$ :eek:

thats why its better to take it somewere to get the test done.

sorry dude, I thought it was a lil more conventional than this...
It's so simple to take compression on a motocross, like I often do.
Kick, kick, kick and you know :D

Dont need to feel bad if you dont know you dont know.

its because there are 3 readings that have to be taken on the same spark plug hole ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back