Quick paint question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyRidzPhucked

Legacy Member
I'm going to be rebuilding my 93 talon tsi this upcoming summer

I will be changing the front clip for one from a 1990 talon (hit a deer a few years ago, hood was bent. Also suffered damage from someone kicking in a fender, and the other one is starting to rot a bit, so its completely justifiable)

Just want to know your opinions on wether I should paint the body parts OFF the car, or install everything and then paint?

I know there's pro's and con's to both, but would love to hear personal opinions.

thanks!

It's not clear to me what you'll be painting. You mean front lip, fender?? or just the lip???

Myself I like to paint the part off the car, and then install them cause I know I'll be careful. Unless some parts are rotten and removing/installing will make things worst.

Specially if painting down there.. you want to make sure that your paint is sprayed evenly.

If painting the part installed, just make sure to take a good amount of time taping the car. It is an art by itself and you don't want to overspray the car.

both technique are good.

If you do the part off the car, you paint only once. BUT you have to be EXTREMELY carefull when you put the part together after because you don't want to ruin your paintjob.

If you paint the piece on the car, you have to paint the interior of the parts first and then put the parts on and then paint without forgeting to mask everything. That way is the easiest way because if you scrape a little when you reasemble, it's ok because you will have to paint it after.

Personally, i paint the part on the car because i'm accustomed to work this way. It take a little more time and material, but i am sure to do it perfectly the first time !

Basically I need to repaint new fenders, hood, bumper, and lights.. with tough ups needed on the door from someone kicking it with muddy, rocky shoes and scraping the living shit out of it (but not to the bare metal at least)

thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back