Cleaning door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDLINE_76

What products and methods do you guys use to clean the door hinges of your cars?

Mine are pretty messy so I'm looking for the best way to get all the grease and dirt out and also lubricate them so they swing nicely again.

Thanks

I use pure Kleenol APC, let it work for a few minutes and pressure wash. Then, spray again and work with Swissvax brush, then rinse.

swissvax_wheel_brush-4.jpg

Thanks Vince, your advice is always appreciated.

I thought of pressure washing that area, but I'm afraid the overspray will end up inside the car :S

hey vince ton pinceau est ce que les poils arrache apres 3-4 utilisations pcq ceux qu'on doit en acheter 50 par années tellement y toff pas longtemps

Thanks Vince, your advice is always appreciated.

I thought of pressure washing that area, but I'm afraid the overspray will end up inside the car :S

It will splash on the door card, but nothing major. Just wipe it off. It will splash on you most of all. lol

hey vince ton pinceau est ce que les poils arrache apres 3-4 utilisations pcq ceux qu'on doit en acheter 50 par années tellement y toff pas longtemps

Je les ai acheté au millieu de l'été passé et je pense que j'ai perdu aucun poil sérieux. C'est vraiment plus tough que je pensais.

T'as acheté des swissvax ou des jobber/no name?

Spray WD-40 or squirt some motor oil and brush with a old tooth brush, wipe off dirt and oil with a damp cloth !

This way you kill two birds with one stone, clean and lube all at once plus it is rust protected and dam cheap in materials !

I hope you do know that you are suppose to lube your hinges with motor oil instead of grease !

shoot du thinner avec un gun a peinturer (si tu en a l'accès). Je peut te garantir que tout va partir !

white 328 a raison! sinon met du thiner sur un linge et frotte! repasse avec ta cire preferer et bingo!!

BTW: thanks EDT for the double wax colinite!!!!!!

It will splash on the door card, but nothing major. Just wipe it off. It will splash on you most of all. lol

Je les ai acheté au millieu de l'été passé et je pense que j'ai perdu aucun poil sérieux. C'est vraiment plus tough que je pensais.

T'as acheté des swissvax ou des jobber/no name?

des no names ...jpense sa veut tout dire loll

Using a pressure washer or thinner is not very recommended.

If your wiring is old, and you use a pressure washer you may cause some electrical problems, or if isolation is not good like on some lower end models you are asking for trouble.

Paint thinner is to remove paint, or to make the paint more liquid (and we use different quality thinner). If used to clean, make sure to wash the surfaces to remove the thinner completely.

VinceGTI has a proper way to do it, I use a degreaser and a detailing brush. Make sure to lubricate your hinges with a good quality lube.

It's a 98 jetta so maybe the wiring would be vulnerable :dunno:

Is engine degreaser ok?

The petroleum base Gunk is ok provided you have to rinse with water and lube afterwards, I would not use any of the water based caustic stuff like STP or Green degreasers, but trust me on this one use WD-40, Varsol or motoroil, you'll thank me and buy me lunch on how well it works ! :bigup:

Make sure to lubricate your hinges with a good quality lube.

Yes, really important to re-lube properly. Because cleaning this area will remove some of the lubricant of the hinges and it's not really good.

It's a 98 jetta so maybe the wiring would be vulnerable :dunno:

Is engine degreaser ok?

VW are well isolated in that area, you can use a pressure washer. Just don't stay too long on the rubber where the electrical wires pass specially on the body side where water can go near the fuse box.

Sweet! I already have some gunk and a stiff brush so I'll take care of business and try lubing with motor oil afterwards!

Thanks a lot guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back